Home About Us Our Story Jedsprint Programme Results Parade
1853-1877 1878-1899 1900-1914 1919-1939 1946-1959 1973-1989 1990-2009 2010-ON
1960 Jethart Callant, Bill Miller, nephew of the renowned Henry Miller (M Henry) who won the Sprint event at Jedburgh Border Games in 1909, fires the traditional cannon in the ceremony in Market Place at the stroke of 6.00 am on Games morning.  

The 107th Jedburgh Border Games held at Riverside Park in 1960 were blessed with excellent weather and to match the fine day there was some excellent running and keen competition.The 120 yards Open Jedforest Handicap, the principal event of the Games which carries the top prize in British professional Athletics of £200 and a gold medal, was won for the second year running by a competitor currently serving in the RAF. Twenty one year old D. Frazer of Ashington, running from the 6 yards mark, won by a yard from fellow English runner, G. Nicholson, Bywell who was handicapped from a 9 yards start. D. Walker from Edinburgh, who ran from 6½ yards, came in to take third place. Frazer, earlier in the day returned the second best heat time, and improved on this to be fastest up in the cross ties. In the final, the RAF man appeared to be slow, but a tremendous burst in the last twenty yards took him past Nicholson to win in a time of 11.53 seconds. Four local runners won their heats. Billy Moody, running from 12 yards returned a time of 12.10 seconds, while John Franklin did 11.96 seconds from a 5 yards start in the tenth heat. R. Cairns, who came second last year to McAnany of Blyth, also won his heat in 11.96 seconds, while I. Yule took the nineteenth heat in 12.12 seconds. None of the four survived the cross-ties, however, although Yule came very near to the final. Back markers in the 250 Yards Jedburgh Open Handicap had a thin time, and one of the limit men, C. McLaren of Edinburgh won in 24.63 seconds from a start of 35 yards. There was some fine running in the 880 Yards Merchants Open Handicap and all six were won by Scottish competitors. The final turned out to be one of the best and most exciting races of the day. In the last lap, it was a duel between A. Douglas, Denholm, and J. Kirk, Lochgelly, where Douglas, a former Crailing lad held off repeated challengers to win by a yard in the excellent time of 1 minute, 47.5 seconds. For this fine effort, Douglas who was handicapped from 65 yards was awarded the gold medal by the judges for the most meritorious performance of the Games. The One Mile Open Handicap also turned out to be a very fine race and featured the young Gordon runner, J. Brotherstone who was last years winner off 85 yards. This year, coming round the final bend, Brotherstone who was running from 15 yards was well placed between G. Burrow, Oxenpark who started from 85 yards and J. Charlton of Ashington, who started with a hefty 100 yards advantage. He couldn't pull it off on the straight, however, and had to be content with third place. Charlton who was second in the 1959 race came through to win in 4 minutes and 10 seconds. This makes Brotherstone's time for the full distance somewhere in the region of 4 minutes, 12 seconds. A very creditable performance indeed for a grass track. The Dunion Handicap Open Two Miles event, always a popular race at the Jedburgh Games, was won by J. Bell, Ashkirk, handicapping from 250 yards, and leaving J. Gibson of Whitburn with second place after a 280 yards start. M. Glen, Bathgate, the scratch man ran well to claim third place. Another highlight of the Games was a splendidly handicapped Invitation Race over 100 Yards. Appropriately enough, the British sprint champion W. N. Atkinson, Brampton, from a 1½ yards start, got home by half a yard in 10. 3 seconds from John Dawson (J Franklin), Jedburgh, the Powderhall winner in 1952 who ran from 3 yards, in what could be termed a "blanket finish." J. Feeney, Edinburgh was third. The Cumberland style wrestling once again proved to be and all North of England affair, and every prize awarded in all four classes went over the Border. J. E. Dunglison, Brunstock, winner of the All Weights class for a number of years proved to be unbeatable, although J. J. Bland, Arnside, 13 stones Class World Champion tested him thoroughly. Jethart Callant, Bill Miller, who works with the famous family business of Miller's of Jedburgh, renowned for their traditional recipe for 'Jethart Snails' made a welcome and well received appearance along with his followers at the Games during the afternoon.

George Smith, Partick Thistle's outside right was the man whose name carried the headlines at the 1961 Jedburgh Border Games. He carried off the £200 and gold medal first prize in the 120 Yards Open Jedforest Sprint Handicap. Smith, an M.A. (Hons) school teacher from Whitburn, had early established himself as favourite with the fastest heat time, beating local runner Billy Moody who took second prize. Moody, off 12 yards, to the delight of his followers won his heat in fine style, and then in the cross-ties, improved his time to beat P. Robson, Walbottle, the heavily backed Northumberland runner. He seemed to improve again in the final for he was only beaten by 1½ yards by the winner who ran from 11½ yards in a time of 11.10 seconds. Later in the day, runners from all parts of both Scotland and England took part in The 120 Yards British Professional Sprint Championship and it was fitting that such a championship event should be staged at these Games. This event was won by D. Frazer of Ashington, winner of last year's Jedforest Handicap Sprint, but only by inches from F. Scott of Falkirk. There was some fine running during the day, and overcast skies during the early part of the afternoon appeared to have deterred many spectators, for there was ample room everywhere, including the grandstand. It did, however, turn out to be a bright afternoon with the track in first class order after some rain had fallen during the night. The Games was well and truly heralded in by the famous cannon which Callant Tommy Spence, a farmer from Monklaw just outside Jedburgh, fired off, and there was a fair crowd in attendance to give it a send off. The evening dresses of those from the Callant's Ball were prominent amongst the crowd, but many had been subjected to an early rise to be there for the singing, to the accompaniment of Jedforest Instrumental Band. The first event of the day, The Race Round the Town was sent off, and G. Jeffrey, Ancrum was the first man home, with J. Wilson and W. Law, both of Jedburgh, filling the other places. During the forenoon, the youth's races were quickly handled and the outstanding event here was the "double" brought off by Jennifer Allen, who won the Girl's Under 14 and Under 18 Years events. The confined events produced little excitement, but the Veteran's Race as usual, was a big hit. In a photo finish, S. Roberts running from 22 yards, just held off A. Fairbairn from scratch to win by inches. The Jedforest Handicap heats were run off and the Cumberland invasion of wrestlers took the ring, to be overlooked as the heats for The Merchant's Half Mile Handicap got under way. This race produced an incident, when, in the final, an objection was made to the winner, J. Kirk, Lochgelly, by J. Wilson, Edinburgh who came in second. Wilson alleged that Kirk had obstructed him. The judges sustained the objection, and awarded the race to Wilson. It was reported that Kirk has protested to the Scottish Games Association against the judges decision. There were large fields for the One Mile and Two Mile Races, and E. Falconer, Lilliesleaf, who won the confined sprint in the forenoon, further distinguished himself by winning the 250 Yards Jedburgh Handicap. The cycle racing had few entrants. J. Powley, the winner, and E. Ostle, who took second place, ran away with the One Mile competition, but D. E. Cochrane of Duns, the third placed competitor proved too fast for them in the Two Mile event and cycled in to claim the victory. At the end of the Games, it was announced that the Judges Medal had been awarded to R. Anderson of Ashington for the most meritorious performance of the Games by winning his heats in the 120 Yards and Half Mile Handicaps, and gaining fourth place in the Half Mile.

  D. Walker, an accountant from Edinburgh, is pictured breasting the tape in the 120 Yards Jedforest Handicap Sprint. Walker not only carried off the victory, but went on to gather a 'double' by winning the 120 Yards British Professional Championship later in the day. Jedburgh's Billy Moody wearing the No. 3 bib took fourth place in the Sprint.

It was a dull cold day for the Border Games of 1962. In spite of the lack of sunshine, over 4000 attended the meeting at Riverside Park, a figure of 500 more than last year. It was felt that Gordon Pirie, making his debut as a professional runner in Britain would attract many, but it was 27 year old David Walker, an Edinburgh accountant who thrilled the crowd with his great speed as he thrust from the back mark of 4 yards to win the £200 final of The 120 Yards Jedforest Handicap Sprint. Ten minutes later, he did it again to win the British Professional 120 Yards Championship in 11.70 seconds. Pirie, on the other hand did not impress. In a specially arranged One Mile event, where, from scratch he was set to give the present British One Mile Champion, J. Tinion of Dearham a start of 35 yards, and the strong running Brotherstone from Gordon a 40 yards advantage, he made no impression. Brotherstone won in 4 minutes 10.5 seconds, while Pirie could only hold fourth position in a time of 4 minute and 18.75 seconds. In the Two Mile event, Pirie ran without making any impact on the large field and never overtook a runner who finished. After the racing, he said that he could not get any spark into his running and was quite surprised at the high standards of the Games. Quite deservedly, Walker was awarded the medal for the most meritorious performance during the afternoon. The forenoon programme went through smoothly. Jedburgh runners, however, had a poor day, and the confined 100 Yards Handicap was won by H. Cairney, Selkirk with G. Farquarson and R. Cairns, Hawick taking second and third places respectively. J. B. Steede, Jedburgh who was fancied for the Lothian Half Mile Handicap, found the pace too hot and Wallis, Selkirk was a good winner from 70 yards in a time of 1 minute 58 seconds. The Veterans Race produced two heats and Alec Fairbairn won in great style, while at the other end of the scale, the youthful Colin Russell captured the Jackson Challenge Cup by winning the Under 17 Year Olds 100 Yards Race. A race, which surprisingly only fielded five entries. A crowd gathered quickly in the afternoon, and long before the commencement, there was evidence of a big attendance, for the Riverside car park was packed and consequently traffic was being diverted into the town to find parking space. When the ties for the Jedforest Sprint got under way, Jedburgh had an early success as Billy Moody, running from 9 yards won the second heat but he proved the only local winner. He distinguished himself again in the cross-ties by winning to go through to the final for the second year in succession, and then pulled off fourth place. A look at the heat winners showed that, speculating on times, the ultimate winner, D. Walker running from 4 yards covered the distance in 11.60 seconds, whereas C. Murrell, Blyth from a 9 yards start, finished in 11.55 seconds. One of the two was most likely to capture the prize. When the draw for the cross-ties brought them both together, there was great excitement, but Walker pulled out the stops and was timed at 11.35 seconds to stamp him as a real champion. Excitement ran high again when the Special One Mile Race was announced, but while all eyes were on Pirie, the grand race run by Brotherstone, Gordon from the 40 yards mark should not be overlooked. It should also be remembered that it was only he, of the back markers in the Two Mile event who got a place, for he ran well to get into third position at the finish. The grueling 250 Yards Jedburgh Handicap produced some good running in seven heats and the final saw T. Mann, Stow get first to the tape from a 36 yards start. Thomson, Rosyth took second prize from 36 yards and third place went to P. Kenny of Ulverston from a start of 14 yards. The Dunion Handicap Two Mile prize was awarded to R. Harrison, Barrow-in-Furness, who started from 230 yards to win in a time of 9 minutes and 3 seconds. This year's Jethart Callant, Charles Stewart, who works with the family's Stewart's textiles mill at Bongate, Jedburgh, made an appearance along with his followers during the day.

Overcast skies with slight rain, which tended to get heavier heralded Games morning in 1963, and as 6 o'clock neared, the party makers from the Callant's Ball gathered in the Market Square, and were joined by many residents of all ages. Throughout the crowd, there were the exiles, some of who had not heard the cannon for over 30 years. Callant Jim Miller, an electrician working for the L. S. Starrett precision tool company, fired the first cannon at the stroke of six and the Jedforest Instrumental Band came out to parade the streets. Meanwhile we were looking for the Race Round the Town runners, and while the Callant and his men were ensuring adequate starts, one noticed that all the entrants were local, and mainly those who had attended the Ball. No entrant stripped for running appeared, rather, a throng of semi-drunken revelers still wearing the evening dress they had set off in, some six or seven hours before, to celebrate the official end to the Jethart Callant's Festival of 1963. The competitors went off to a grand cheer, and soon, Harvey Oliver was seen coming up the High Street, strangely enough, joined by the Callant's party, and he proved an easy winner, with Peter Johnston second and Bill Hughes in third place. The song singing was lusty, but since the rain became heavier, the programme did not continue for so long as in previous years. When the sports began at Riverside Park, there were clouds around but the sun managed to get through, and the Games committee ran through the junior and confined events very efficiently. In the Veteran's Race, only four out of the nine entrants appeared, and T. Scott from 8 yards, won clearly from former winners H. McDowell who started from 6 yards and S. Richardson who came off the 5½ yards mark. The confined 100 Yards Sprint produced only one local heat winner, in Ian Yule, who ultimately took third place in the final with a run from 6 yards. The victory went to G. J. Farquharson of Hawick from a handicap of 6½ yards. H. Cairney of Selkirk came in second from a 10 yards start. The 100 Yards Handicap for Youths produced a surprise winner in William Culling, who appeared to be well handicapped off 8 yards. J. Wilson of Jedburgh helped himself to another Borders confined Lothian Half Mile Handicap. He ran a well judged race, and held off the challenge of back marker W. Temple, Galashiels


Local man, John B. Steede puts the rest of the field behind him in a triumphant victory in the 120 yards Jedforest Handicap. After an intensive training programme in the capable hands of his uncle, ex-British Half Mile Champion Rob Barr, and local trainer, Peter Cuthbertson, Steede achieved his success in an astounding time of 11.20 seconds.


In spite of a downpour of rain during the lunch break, which must have affected attendance, the afternoon opened in bright sunshine and the weather, happily stayed that way. Excitement ran high as the twenty five heats of the 120 Yards Jedforest Open Handicap Sprint were run, and especially when J. B. Steede from Jedburgh running from 9½ yards clocked the fastest time of 11.36 seconds. When he won his cross-tie in 11.15 seconds, it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to take first prize in the final. And how well he did so! Running exceptionally strongly, he swept up the track in great style to win the coveted prize. No wonder his trainer, Mr Peter Cuthbertson, embraced him after his triumphant win, and his many friends showered their congratulations on him. The ped world must fear the 'Cuthbertson school,' for they have now produced the various winners of almost every sprint in the calendar of contemporary sporting events. Commenting on the race in Monday's Scotsman, that paper's own reporter said "Steede started his preparations last November, though they really became intensive in April this year, under the direction of his uncle, Rob Barr from Jedburgh, the former half mile British Champion. Steede was also under the care of three others, namely, Peter Cuthbertson, Jedburgh, one of the most powerful backroom boys in professional running today. John Dawson (J Franklin), the ex-Powderhall Sprint winner who is still an effective force on the track, and who nurses his charges as though, with kid gloves, and G. Swanston, a young man from the same school who won a similar prize at Powderhall only two weeks ago." Other Jedburgh runners did well too. Billy Moody, from a start of 8 yards went to the final and finished fourth, while J. Franklin, running from 14½ yards made it to the cross-ties. Local half miler R. Thomson won his heat in good style from the 65 yards mark, but only mad fourth place in the final. The Youths 100 Yards Handicap produced a new local runner in Chris Veitch, who, although he had the fastest time in his heat, running from 10 yards, did not go so well in the final. He finished second to Ferguson of Morebattle who had the advantage of a 12 yards start. D. Walker of Edinburgh, winner of last year's Jedforest Handicap, retained his British 120 Yards Championship in spite of a strong challenge by Rickie Dunbar, also from Edinburgh. There was a big field in the One Mile Handicap which was won by Selkirk rugby player R. Turnbull from the 100 yards mark. The highlight of the distance races was the Two Mile Dunion Handicap, with local runner J. Law winning the applause of the crowd, even though he only came in second to J. Shakely, Ascan-on-Furness. The scratch man, and British Champion, J. Tinnion of Dearham who ran third was awarded the gold medal for the most meritous performance during the afternoon. The attendance was very much down on previous years because of the rain, which was falling heavily in so many other Border areas. Few, who did not attend could believe that Jedburgh Border Games had actually been favoured with sunshine. Displays of dancing were given by a troupe from Hawick, trained by Miss Maureen Robertson, who has already announced by advertisement that she will be shortly commencing classes in Jedburgh. Her pupils have given displays at the Games for the past three years.

  Fifer Bill Robertson of Lochgelly running off 11 yards breasts the tape in the 120 Yards Jedforest Handicap Sprint, in front of Bill Paul of Edinburgh off 12 yards and back marker L.Scott of Kelso running off 8 a time of 10.95 seconds. A new track record as the fastest ever recorded at Riverside.

The Jedforest Handicap Sprint was the fastest ever recorded at Jedburgh during 1964. Bill Robertson of Lochgelly, proved himself to be a class runner when he came from the 11 yards mark to put in a tremendous last twenty yards to win in a time of 10.95 seconds. A former winner of the Newtongrange New Year Half Mile, the Fifer was backed from 8 to 1, down to 3 to 1 favourite, and obliged by winning his heat in 11.40 seconds, his tie in 11.04 seconds and the track record in the final. Leslie Scott of Kelso was the only Borderer to reach the last four. Scott was back marker in the final, off 8 yards, and proved beyond all doubt that he is one of the fastest runners to come out of the Borders for some time. In the sprint final, Scott recorded two yards inside even time over 100 yards. This put him in the 9.8 bracket. The Kelso runner was one of ten who was heavily backed to win the handicap. For a while he was at even money as the market moved on to back W. Milburn of Barrow, Robertson, Lochgelly, H. Crane of Hartley, G. Farquharson from Hawick, and scratch man R. Dunbar of Edinburgh. At the conclusion, over £1000 was paid out on Robertson, with £600 alone going to the Fife school of contenders. Sprint champion Rickie Dunbar was in top form. He came from the scratch mark to win his heat in 11.34 seconds, becoming the fastest white man ever to run down the local rugby ground at Riverside. In his cross-tie, Dunbar did 11.50 seconds. His respective runs were six yards inside evens, and five yards inside evens. This Edinburgh runner was awarded the gold medal presented by the judges for the most meritorious performance at the Games. The Games did not go off without incident, however. Former amateur star, Berwyn Jones arrived at Riverside Park and did not bother to take off his everyday clothes. He was down to run in the sprint, and take on Dunbar in a Special Invitation Race. After talking over terms and expenses, and other financial matters with the committee, Jones said he would not run. In an interview, he quoted, "I thought it was ridiculous what was offered." A Jedburgh Games official stated, "We flatly refused to go any further than our original offer." Although no one would confirm the sum asked for, it was later revealed that the Welshman wanted over £60 before he was prepared to run. The Special Invitation Sprint took place without him. Former Jedforest Sprint winner of 1959, J. McAnany of Blyth was the ultimate winner of the event in a time of 11.19 seconds, running from a handicap of 3 yards. The second sensation of the day, was the disqualification of rugby league flyer, Brian Sullivan of Kingston. Running from the 9 yards mark in the Big Sprint, Sullivan was timed at 10.87 seconds after winning his heat. The committee held an emergency meeting, while Sullivan was asked to complete an entry form, and it was announced that he had been disqualified. It was claimed that he had failed to disclose in the form that he was in the Forces. The Lochgelly school from Fife, trained by Willie Young pulled off a big 'double' when 17 year old Jim McLelland won the £60 Merchants Half Mile Handicap from a start of 55 yards. McLelland was an easy winner in a time of 1 minute and 52.8 seconds. He was hot favourite after the heats, and ran strongly in the final to beat R. Whiteford from Innerleithen, and Dougie Michie of Jedburgh into minor places. It must have been heart breaking for Barry Douglas and his supporters from Kelso to be beaten in the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap. With the £35 prize within his grasp, Douglas was beaten into second place, after holding the lead to within 10 yards of the tape. Running from 110 yards, David Cannon of Kendal in Cumbria, came in to give the odds to his supporters and snatch the win from Douglas. Two particular backers, who were unlucky with their speculation on the Handicap Sprint, lifted £117 as a result of their good will in assisting this winner with the tactics to use in the One Mile Handicap. A finishing time of 4 minutes and 14 seconds is the fastest time yet recorded this summer. Third place went to Ronnie Anderson from Ashington. The Dunion Two Mile Handicap was a three horse race between reigning champion Jeffrey Tinnion, Dearham, Jim Brotherstone of Gordon and S. Jack, Denholm. With three laps to run, Tinnion, the scratch man had caught his field, after having given starts of up to 310 yards. Although challenged by Brotherstone, Tinnion strode away to win in 9 minutes 16 seconds. Several competitors in this event will need more than a lift in their start. Over a dozen in the big field were lapped by the scratch man, and others from the back marks. Third place went to Jack, with former champion, Michael Glen of Bathgate taking fourth place. The 220 Yards Jedburgh Handicap, was won by Billy Keen, Galashiels. Running from a start of 20 yards he got the decision in a very close finish over Ronnie Williamson, Selkirk who ran from the 17 yards mark, and Ian Lothian, Walkerburn who was off 8 yards. There was a surprise in the Veteran's Handicap, when Sandy Richardson won the handsome Henderson Cup Trophy. Running from the 6½ yards mark, Richardson led all the way to beat current holder Tom Scott off 3 yards, into second place, and leaving Hugh McDowell and Adam McDonald with minor places. Bill Culling was the scratch man in this event and was some two yards behind the winner at the tape. The 100 yards confined prize went to a very promising novice, T. Dickson of Hawick, running for the first time at Jedburgh. From the 4 yards mark Dickson won by the same margin in 10 seconds over Bill Edgar of Hawick off ½ a yard and Ronnie Williamson, Selkirk from 4 yards. Powderhall winner, George Swanston from Kelso, running from 1 yard won his heat in this event in 10.68 seconds, gaining the verdict on the tape from John Lauder, Kelso who was off 6 yards. Ronnie Turnbull, Selkirk was a popular winner of the Lothian Half Mile Handicap confined to the Borders. Setting S. Jack, Hawick from 15 yards, Turnbull won with a great run over the last 50 yards. The back marker, Billy Temple, Galashiels who ran from 15 yards received a warm ovation when he finished third. During a break in the afternoon's proceedings, Callant Derek Rae, a design draughting engineer working at the L. S. Starrett company, entered the arena with his followers to a tumultuous welcome from the crowd. A resounding verse and chorus of 'Jethat's Here' was sung, before the proceedings were continued.

Richard Dunbar from Edinburgh, shattered the British All-Comers record for 120 Yards when he was timed at 11.34 seconds at Jedburgh Border Games in 1965. Dunbar's performance was two hundredths better than that set by Barney Ewell of USA at Riverside Park in July 1950. Jethart Callant Sam Russell, an apprentice toolmaker, working for the L. S. Starrett Precision Tool Company based in the town, presented Dunbar with a gold medal for the most meritorious performance of the day. The medal was some consolation for Dunbar, as he failed to win his cross-tie, while competing in the Jedforest Open Handicap Sprint. Jos. Watson, Penrith, running off a limit of 16 yards went forward to the final. It was a tape verdict. The track was measured by Scottish Games officials and found to be correct. There was no wind assistance and with rain falling at the time, the new record was created when least expected. Later in the afternoon, Dunbar won the 120 Yards Invitation Sprint event in 11.44 seconds, running from scratch. Taking part from 1 yard was the former top amateur Alf Meakin who came in third. Alf Meakin is a top class runner, and this was fully demonstrated in the Relay Race when Scotland beat England in a most thrilling event. Meakin was two yards clear of Dunbar coming past the stand, and put the Scotland 'B' team into the lead, after handing over to John Steede, Jedburgh. Meakin was guesting for Scotland, after Leslie Scott of Kelso graciously withdrew to allow the crowd the pleasure of seeing the 'flyer' in action. Scotland were certainly strongly represented with Rickie Dunbar, Dave Walker, Jim Shapkey and Jim Kirk. The race was a great spectacle, and the committee must place it earlier in the day, if they are to put a similar event into the programme next year. The organisation of the Games this year was first class, and President Mr George Douglas and his committee are to be congratulated in putting on what was undoubtedly one of the best meetings at Jedburgh in post-war years. There was admiration all round for 37 year old George Taylor of Sunderland, winner of the £150 Jedforest Open Sprint Handicap. Running from a handicap of 13 yards, Taylor was well ahead of the other finalists for what was his first big win after 21 years on the track. His only other successes were at Shildon, Ashington and Boldon in small handicap events. The biggest surprise of all came from the winner himself, when he admitted, "I trained myself, and only had my 15 year old and 12 year old daughters as trials tackle. I is the best mark I have ever had." What a spectacle it proved to be in the final, with Taylor winning by three clear yards from the promising George Holder from Carlisle, a sergeant in the Royal Air Force stationed at Coshford. Taylor was a great example of fine fitness for a man of his age. There was confidence about his style while winning his heat in 11.53 seconds. Although he was never fully extended in the cross-ties, he took no chances, by recording the fastest sprint time of the day, at 11.08 seconds. Holder of Carlisle came up in his cross-tie with a spectacular finish to push aside the challenge of Bert Scott, Hawick and Mike Lee, Durham in a time of 11.35 seconds. J. T. Smith, Barrow ran well from the 9 yards mark to win his cross-tie. John Steede, Jedburgh broke even time in his heat win by clocking 11.40 seconds from a 5½ yards start, and Dave Law of Jedburgh proved himself a most versatile performer by winning heat twenty in 11.48 seconds, running from 13 yards. Another Jedburgh entrant, Rob Bannon running from the 12 yards mark also won his heat in 11.85 seconds, to be beaten in the cross-ties by Jos Watson, Penrith. Jim Sharkey of Cowdenbeath came in with a strong finish to win the £60 Merchants Handicap Half Mile prize. Running from 30 yards, the winner was one of four Fifers competing in the final. The race was a thriller over the last 150 yards, when it looked as though Wallace McDonald of Jedburgh was a certain winner. McDonald was running for the first time at Riverside Park, and with a 60 yards start, ran like a man inspired. Sharkey challenged as they entered the straight, to finish with a sprint, and break the tape in 1 minute 51.12 sixteenths seconds. Dave Lang of Earlston was third. Former winner, J. McLelland, Lochgelly, running from 35 yards dropped out at the bell during the final. McLelland, Bill Robertson, Lochgelly and A. C. Taffe, Cowdenbeath ran to a tactical plan that appeared to be a paced half mile, but Lang was caught in the net and his stride was broken on three occasions over the second lap. J. H. Newby, Flookburgh made the most of his 140 yards start to win the £35 Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap. D. M. Currie, Innerleithen who handicapped from 100 yards could make nothing of Newby over the last lap. The finnishing time of 4 minutes and 8 seconds was fast. J. Potter of Armadale was third, and Powderhall winner, Bill Elliot, Yetholm showed a welcome return to form by coming in fourth off a handicap of 95 yards. There was a big field forward for the Two Mile Dunion Handicap. The stylish Rob Renton, Hawick ran strongly and with great confidence to win the £30 prize. The Hawick runner found a little extra over the last lap, when Bill Hogarth, Morbattle moved forward to challenge. Hogarth, despite a great effort had to be content with second place. J. Stretch from Barrow was third. Renton's time was 9 minutes and 5 seconds. Highlight of the morning events was the 100 Yards for Youths under 17 years of age. With a Challenge Cup at stake, Billy Michie and Rob Swanston, two local boys dead heated on two runs. Very sportingly, they both agreed to run a third time to decide who would hold the cup for a year. Michie running from scratch, and Swanston off 8 yards ran the decider in the afternoon. The final decision went to Swanston with a verdict on the tape. John Steede of Jedburgh won the 100 Yards confined to Border counties event in 9.87 seconds. Running from a handicap of 2 yards, Steede was back marker in the final. A. McLean from Gordon running from 10 yards was fastest up from the heats in 9.96 seconds. Tom Atkinson of Morebattle had a walkover to reach the final, and Dave Law, Jedburgh, won his heat in great style in a time of 10 seconds. J. Jack from Denholm came from the 40 yards mark to win the confined Lothian Half Mile Handicap. Back marker J. Whiteford, Innerleothen was second off the 15 yard mark, and Billy Temple, Galashiels came in third from 25 yards.


Jedburgh's Rob Bannon threw his arms up in victory at Riverside Park, when he won the £150 Jedforest Open Handicap Sprint Prize. Coming in behind are No1 Peter Pye, Sunderland who came in second, No 5 Ivor McAnany, Blyth who took third prize and No 4 Clive Sullivan, Hull who finished fourth.

It was a great day for local runners and trainers at Jedburgh Border Games in 1966. Rob Bannon won the £120 Jedforest Open Handicap Sprint prize with a flying finish that swept aside all the opposition and Dougie Michie showed great stamina to sprint home and pick up £60 in The Merchants Handicap Half Mile. To complete a hat-trick, John Steede of Jedburgh, won The 120 Yards Open Invitation Sprint Handicap. The finish put in by Bannon to win the 120 yards handicap from a start of 10 yards set the big crowd roaring when he broke away from the challenge of top marker Peter Pye, Sunderland and the long striding Andrew Pratt, Birmingham. Bannon was strongly fancied, after impressive cross-tie victories at an earlier stage in the day. There was also additional interest in Clive Sullivan, Hull, the coloured Rugby League winger who challenged for the lead some 20 yards from the tape. Ivor McAnany of Blyth also arrived home with an impressive finish. Jedburgh trainer Mr Bill Mathieson had Bannon looking a picture of fitness, and the local runner who formerly played at centre position for Jed Amateurs, pulled away with every stride to win in an impressive 11.27 seconds. Among the spectators was the winner's wife. Pye finished a yard ahead of McAnany to be placed second, leaving Sullivan in fourth place. It was during the first semi-final that Bannon showed he was in with a great chance of winning the sprint when he beat John Murdoch, Stonehouse by a foot. Murdoch, who was fastest up in the heats, found Bannon to be too strong over the last 30 yards in the semi. Originally fancied to win at Jedburgh, Powderhall and Newtongrange at the New Year, Murdoch has yet to win a major handicap. In the final, McAnany was timed at four yards inside evens. Dougie Michie, The Jedforest rugby forward made it a local double in the leading handicap events, when he won the £60 prize in The Merchants Half Mile Handicap. The scene was electric over the last lap, with Michie, Jack Knox of Selkirk and R. M. Duncan of Edinburgh all running together at the bell. Coming up the back straight with 200 yards to run, the lead changed hands three times between Michie and Knox, but the Jedburgh man showed that he had listened to every word of his trainer, Rob Barr, the former British Champion over this distance. He held onto Knox until they came into the straight. Over the last 50 yards there was no holding Michie, when he gave his final kick and the legs responded along with a great demonstration of stamina to pull away and win by six yards. Knox was second and Duncan third. Michie's time was 1 minute 53.45 seconds, over two seconds faster than his heat time earlier in the afternoon. Ronnie Anderson of Ashington came in fourth. "I have Rob Barr to thank for all he has done for me," Michie reported after the race, "I just had to hold Knox when we had 220 yards to run. I felt like breaking at that point, but ran as instructed with my final burst over the last 75 yards." John Steede of Jedburgh made it a double for Mr Barr when he won the big Invitation Sprint. Steede was running from 4 yards with champion Mike Murray, Barrow starting at scratch, Ivor McAnany, Blyth off 1 yard, Brian Sullivan handicapped from 3½ yards, Clive Sullivan off 5 yards, Alf Meakin running off 1½ yards and Harry Rutherford running from the 4 yard mark making up the field. The Jedburgh runner demonstrated that he is one of the fastest men off the blocks when he shot into the lead in the first 30 yards and was never headed. He won by a foot from Brian Sullivan, with McAnany close up in third place and Mike Murray fourth. This was Steede's best ever run with the time of 11.45 seconds. Earlier in the day, Murdoch beat him in 11.46 seconds, which was equal to 1½ yards inside evens. Harry Wright, an employee at the L. S. Starrett tool factory, and this years Jethart Callant entered the Games arena with his entourage of supporters during the afternoon, to the delight of the crowd, and led a resounding verse and chorus of 'Jethart's Here.' Jim Stretch of Barrow won the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap prize of £35. He came through a field of 33 runners to win from a start of 90 yards. The time was 4 minutes 14 seconds. In the opinion of the judges, this was the most meritorious performance ofthe Games, and Stretch was awarded the special gold medal. R. Dixon, Cockermouth was second, and Billy Hogarth, Morebattle put in a good finish to win third place over Henry Gray, Duns.


Dougie Michie of Jedburgh claims The Lothian Handicap Half Mile first prize after a tough tussle with Jack Knox from Selkirk. Michie's well desrved win gives the local town its second major triumph of the day with a winning time of 1 minute and 53.45 seconds.

John Balmain, Lundin Links, ran a well judged race to win The Dunion Handicap Two Mile prize of £30. From a start of 150 yards, Balmain was quick to push forward and gain a place near the leaders in the field of 36 runners. Champion Jeff Tinnion, running from scratch had set starts of up to 310 yards. He dropped out after the sixth lap. There was keen competition for the minor places. New Year Half Mile winner Rob Renton of Hawick finished strongly in second place and Billy Hogarth from Morebattle won his 2nd third prize of the day when he put in a sprint finish over the last lap to pass eight runners and come amongst the prize winners. Highlight of the morning was the 1 minute 36 seconds recorded by R. Cook, Hawick, a newcomer to the track. He won on the tape from A. H. Renton of Hawick. In a close finish for The Border Counties 100 Yards, Drew McLean of Gordon, running from 10 yards got the verdict over Gordon Farquharson, Hawick who started from 4 yards, and Chas Russell, Jedburgh who ran from 10½ yards with a finishing time of 10.1 seconds. Russell, running from a 6 yards start, managed to bag the Henderson Challenge Cup for the Veterans Handicap in 8.82 seconds by beating Hugh McDowell off 7 yards and Adam Richardson running from 4 yards. Bill Culling was fourth off 1 yard.

During the Jedburgh Border Games in 1967, Bill Rutherford of Ballingry raced to his first big win on the sprint track when he won the Jedforest Open Handicap Sprint prize of £150 at Riverside Park. An inside forward with East Fife Football Club, Rutherford flashed through the tape 1½ yards ahead of Stuart Hogg, Kirkcaldy and Derek Anderson, Earlston. The time of 11.20 seconds put the winner in the top bracket as a sound even timer. Sitting off the 8 yards mark, Rutherford came through beautifully to breast the tape a clear winner. It was the kind of win that gives the judges little worry to ponder who really hit the tape first. Up to some 30 yards from the tape, it was the Borders hope Derek Anderson who was challenging top marker Jim Blair of Innerleithen for the lead. Blair, who was off the limit of 16 yards was in receipt of 7 yards from Anderson. Also in the final and running with great power was Stuart Hogg, Kirkcaldy, running from 3½ yards. Hogg, reported to be a training companion of Rutherford, came into the picture at the 100 yards mark. By then, Rutherford was streaking away into the lead. Every stride the runner took was pulling him nearer to his first ever win and a cheque for £150. Derek Anderson finished about a foot behind Hogg, with Jim Blair taking fourth place. R. Hutchison from Tullibody, one of the most outstanding teenage runners in the country was fifth. Hutchison won his cross-tie in 11.53 seconds by a clear yard. He won his heat in 11.45 seconds when pushed to the 100 yards mark by Jim Wallis, Wallsend who was running from 13½ yards and Phillip Pye of Sunderland running off 10½ yards, a finalist last year in the same event. In his cross-tie, Rutherford ran with balance and poise. At the half way stage, Jos Watson from 15½ yards was still in front. Gordon Farquharson, Hawick and Frankie Foster of Benwell also looked prominent. Then Rutherford came on with his power finish and completely demoralised the opposition. Just prior tto running in the cross-tie, Rutherford was heavily gambled on by his connections to win the Sprint. At that time, there was little in the ring between Hutchison at 2 to 1 and local hope Chas Russell, Jedburgh and Derek Anderson, Earlston, both of whom were even money to win. Anderson won his cross-tie in 11.61 seconds. It had become a race between Anderson, and newcomer to the Jedburgh scene, Alan Scott from Hawick. Running from 7½ yards, Scott won his heat in 11.68 seconds. In the tie, however, Anderson pulled away from the Hawick man in the last 20 yards to win by two clear yards. Jim Blair of Innerleithen improved in the final, for he won his cross-tie in 11.69 seconds. Blair came through to the semi-finals after dead heating in his heat with I. W. Swann, Gosforth running from the 10½ yards mark in 11.52 seconds and was still available at 20 to 1 to win the final. Hutchison of Tullibody running from 7 yards was a disappointment in the final. Stuart Hogg was a worthy and deserving winner of the medal awarded by the judges for the most meritorious performance at the Games. Hogg ran three yards inside evens in the final, his best ever run. The crowd, however, took to Hogg when he streaked into the picture after his cross-tie. His training companions, Rutherford and Hutchison were already through to the final. Fifteen yards from the tape, Hogg was nowhere. In the lead was Chas Russell, Jedburgh, well supported for the handicap, and looking set for the final. Within six strides, Hogg closed the gap, and a great roar went up from the crowd, as the Kirkcaldy runner became the third Fifer to enter the final. Consolation, however for Charlie Russell, who won the Veterans Handicap off the 5 yards mark. Hugh McDowell was second and Sandy Richardson third. A. G. Eland, Broughton employed the right tactics in the Half Mile final to win the Merchants Handicap and the prize of £60. This was the first ever big win for Eland, who came on the Games scene in the Borders two seasons ago. Running from a handicap of 50 yards, the Broughton woodyard worker shook off the challenge of J. Stretch, Dalton running off 35 yards and Jim Birrell, Clackmannan starting off 55 yards. "I made my run at the bell, and knew I needed to have substantial lead up the back straight," Eland remarked after the race. Peter Johnston, an employee with Gibson and Lumgair textiles in Selkirk, and 1967 Jethart Callant, appeared at the Games during the afternoon along with his followers. Peter, needless to say was winner of the Callants race, held each year as a novelty event for the crowd. A field of 40 runners contested the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap. Eddie Glen of Bathgate ran a well judged race from the 90 yards mark, to take the lead at the bell without being over run. He was presented with the new trophy by Mr A. Yule of St Boswells who donated the cup. Archie McGilivray from the Isle of Lismore was second and Jim Morgan, Kendal, who led over the first three laps was third. Glen's time was 4 minutes and 14.5 seconds. Peter Hall, Barrow was an easy winner of The Two Miles Dunion Handicap, off a start of 140 yards. Hall pulled away at the bell to win, easing up from Michael Glen of Bathgate, annd Russell from Clackmannan.

1968, and Willie Rutherford had his name well and truly entered into the record books, after he won the Jedforest Handicap Sprint for the second consecutive year. In a dramatic ending, Rutherford came in with a flying finish to win by a foot from Archie Affleck of Gorebridge and win the title for the second time. The running of the 22 year old Fifer who flies out to Australia at the end of July to play football was most creditable. He came from the 4 yards mark to win in 11.87 seconds, and on a track that had been greatly slowed down by rain. "I feel great after this win," he said as he walked back for his track suit. Re-running the final, Rutherford stated, "I never thought Affleck was going to come back to me, for he was still in front by a yard with Whiteford at his shoulder, with only 15 yards to run." Formerly an inside forward with East Fife, Rutherford came in with a great finishing burst to win by a foot. Whiteford appeared as the picture shows to be second, but the judges gave Archie Affleck this honour, placing Whiteford of Innerleithen third and scratch man Mike Murray, Barrow fourth. Bert Hutchison of Tullibody was a yard away in fifth position. The sprint was keenly contested from the heats. The running at the meeting was exceptionally good, considering that for several days before the Games, heavy showers of rain made the track slower than usual. Officials and spectators were pleased, however, that the weather remained good for the day of the meeting. A word of praise should go to the groundsman, Mr Jock Wilson for the excellent condition in which he had tended the sprint and distance tracks. The committee could not show their appreciation any more than by bestowing the honour to Mr Wilson, of firing the cannon that officially closed the 1968 Jedburgh Border Games at Riverside Park. Jim Minto of Morebattle was cheered home by the crowd as the only runner from the Borders to win one of the major open handicaps at the Games. For his gallant run, Minto was later in the day presented with the Andrew Yule Challenge Cup to go with his £35 prize. There was a big field for the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap. Over the first two laps, Fred Johnstone, Dearham and John Gibson, Whitburn, both running from a 200 yards start took the field at a moderate pace. At this time Minto was making good progress moving along nicely with his brother Drew who ran off 170 yards, up front pulling the eventual winner forward to the top markers. At that stage, Alastair McFarlane of Bannockburn running from 50 yards and Archie McGillivray from the Isle of Lismore off 110 yards, were moving through the field to get in touch with the bunch. The Minto brothers, however, continued to dominate the race, and the second last time up the back straight, Jim Minto looked very fresh and full of energy. Coming up to the last lap gun, Minto broke clear into a 20 yards lead from his brother. McFarlane came with a tremendous run at the first bend after going into the last lap. By this time Minto was some 50 yards ahead. Them McGillivaray came back into the picture to challenge McFarlane, with J. Stretch, Dalton running from a 60 yards start in fourth place. Minto had a bit to spare at the winning line. The competition for the second prize of £10 was keenly contested. McFarlane stumbled and fell a yard from the winning line, and McGillivray was awarded second place. McFarlane had the presence of mind to roll over the winning line and get his feet clear for the third prize of £5, with Stretch being awarded the £2 fourth prize. Minto's time on a track slowed down by rain was 4 minutes 16 seconds. When it was announced that Alan Simpson, the former British Olympic runner and AAA Mile Champion would run off 35 yards in the Two Mile Dunion Handicap, it added a little extra excitement that one expects at a big meeting. Jim Brotherstone of Gordon was on the scratch mark, and from an original list of 62 entries, 24 runners came forward to face their marks. It appears that the One Mile and Two Mile events are too close on the programme. The period of time between the two events was just over half an hour. Fifteen laps in all over the two races is just about impossible in such a short time span. Alan Simpson did not run in the One Mile event, and the decision resulted in the crowd being entertained to a great display of running. After seven laps, Fred Reeves of Barrow took up the running. With a start of 160 yards and the experience of several good wins behind him, Reeves lengthened his stride to win easily. So easily in fact, that it was a pity the handicapper hadn't put Simpson at scratch. We may well then have seen 9 minutes broken for the two miles, had the Yorkshire man got in touch with Reeves, who won in 9 minutes 8.5 seconds. Simpson received a warm ovation from the crowd when he finished second in 9 minutes 10.5 seconds. Last time there was such a sea of hands on the terracing at Jedburgh, according such a tribute was when Barney Ewell won the Sprint in 1950. Scotland regained the British Professional relay title from England in what was a most dramatic finish. With 50 yards to run, Ronnie Anderson, Ashington, running the last leg over the half mile for England had pulled away by three yards in front of K. Heggie, East Calder. Then to the roar of the crowd, Heggie put in a final challenge. Stride by stride over the last 30 yards, he pulled Anderson back. Two yards from the winning line, Anderson faltered, and in his very last stride, Heggie threw himself at the tape to win for Scotland. During the early afternoon, Jethart's 1968 Callant, Alan Miller, a dairy farmer from Timpendean, entered the ring with his leading men and led the crowd in the traditional verse and chorus of 'Jethart's Here.'

Alan Scott of Hawick thrilled a big crowd at Jedburgh Border Games in 1969, with his flying finish by winning the £150 Jedforest Sprint Handicap prize off a 4½ yards start. Scott's time of 11.27 seconds earned him the honour of being the fastest runner from the Borders in post-war years of accomplishing close on three yards inside even time. Jim Jack of Hawick also won the Two Mile Dunion Handicap in 9 minutes and 21 seconds in a top class field. Dave Currie from Innerleithen won the One Mile Edinburgh and Leith Plate Handicap in 4 minutes 16 seconds, and Alan Tierney of Hawick won the Border Counties 100 Yards event in 10.25 seconds. The excellent weather made for a day not to be forgotten in the history of Jedburgh Border Games. It was also a great day for runners from the Borders in the various handicaps, that drew entries from the Northern counties of Scotland to the South of England. Local runners gave their best, and pride of place goes to 25 year old Alan Scott for his magnificent display of sprinting in the final of the 120 Yards Jedforest Handicap. Scott came home with a run that can best be described as a flying finish to win the £150 prize money over 24 year old works study engineer, Joe Murdoch, Stonehouse, running from 5½ yards, Paul Ferrari from Huddersfield, who had a 7 yards start, to finish third, and 24 year old lawyer Bob Hamilton of Falkirk who ran from 12 yards to take fourth place. Alan Scott, trained by Mr Jimmy Bell of Ashkirk, rose beautifully in the final, and was on terms with Murdoch inside 10 yards, then he pulled back Geoffrey Barrett, Denton off the 7½ yard mark and Ferrari at the 90 yards line. Hamilton was still out in front at this stage. At the line, Alan Scott threw himself at the tape to get the verdict by a clear margin of inches. It was a day Scott will remember, for it was only his third final and third win. He won the Eric Cumming Memorial Handicap in 1968 at Powderhall and went on to win the Oxton Games sprint recording even time off 5 yards. The sprint was full of surprises, since early favourite Drew McLean, Galashiels was backed down to 2 to 1 and then a steady even money at the lunch break. McLean was best time of the twenty heat winners in 11.35 seconds, but then went down in his cross-tie, beaten in inches by Barret in 11.26 seconds. The best run from the heats was that of Eddie Cain, Carlisle off 1 yard. He came down in 11. 54 seconds, getting the verdict on the tape from Alan Tierney, Hawick, who started from the 8 yards mark. Cain's run represented one hundredth better than three yards inside even time. The best ever run for Cain this summer and the best of the day from an entry of 134 runners. Cain lost to Barrett in the semi-final. Paul Ferrari won his tie with a margin of inches to spare in 11.56 seconds over Billy Munro, Edinburgh, who ran from 12 yards. Joe Murdoch of Stonehouse running off 5½ yards caught Ronnie Cairns, Hawick who handicapped from 14½ yards, inside the last ten yards to gain a place in the final with 11.64 seconds. Alan Scott of Hawick won his tie in 11.70 seconds from David Bell, Dalston who was running from 7½ yards, and Dave Burns, Wishaw, off the 7½ yards mark. Bob Hamilton of Falkirk, running from 12 yards, led all the way in his semi-final, to beat John Hamilton, Cleland, off 9½ yards into second place. The British Relay Challenge between Scotland and England proved to be a great contest. Ronnie Anderson from Ashington won the last leg over half a mile to give England the title. The quarter mile leg between Ken Heggie, East Calder and Peter Warde, South Cave, was a thriller. Warden, on his second run of the day over the distance, won the hearts of the crowd who demonstrated their appreciation with a long round of applause. Stuart Hogg of Kirkcaldy, running from 2 yards was a good winner of the 120 Yards Invitation Handicap in a time of 11.62 seconds, beating Swann off 2 yards, and McAnany running off ½ a yard. Alan Tierney of Hawick won the 100 Yards Confined to Border counties handicap off a 3 yards start. Tierney beat Eddie Falconer, Hawick, who came off 3 yards, and Rob Swanston , Jedburgh running from 7½ yards. The winning time was 10.25 seconds. R. Douglas, Hawick came from the 45 yards mark to win The Lothian Half Mile Handicap in 1 minute and 57.2 fifths seconds from Dave Currie, Innerleithen running from 10 yards and R. Aitken, Hawick, also running from 45 yards. A good race for the promising young Hawick runner. The 1969 Jethart Callant, George Balfour, a student of agriculture, studying at Edinburgh University attended the meeting during the afternoon along with his followers to lead the crowd in a rendering of the local festive song 'Jethart's Here.' John Steede of Jedburgh, ran the race of his life to win The Invitation Quarter Mile, when he came off the 4 yards mark to beat scratch man Peter Warden, South Cave. The scene was one worth recording for there was great interest in this event. Warden, a former Olympic team runner at the Tokyo Olympic Games won the British Professional Championship at Galashiels, when Steede was runner-up. A runner with a big stride for his size, Warden was the first to shake Steede's hand after the Jedburgh runner just got his chest to the tape. It was a two horse race between Steede and Warden, for Ken Heggie, East Calder off 6 yards, J. McLaren, Kincardine running off 6 yards and Sandy Nelson, Kinross, starting from 10 yards were only in the race for the first 220 yards. Coming up the back straight, Warden was just ahead of Steede. He gamely increased the pace, but could not shake off the determination of the local runner. Then into the straight and a great roar erupted from the crowd. Steede edged his way to the front as he responded to the call of over 2,000 voices chanting, "Steede!.......Steede!," in chorus. "I don't know what happened when I heard the crowd," Steede recalled later, " I just found that extra stamina, and knew I had to win." It was a top performance from both runners. Earlier in the day, John Steede won his heat in the Jedforest Open Handicap in 11.77 seconds. The Merchants Half Mile Handicap was won in 1 minute 53.1 fifths seconds by 23 year old Bill Barker, manager of a grocery warehouse from Barrow. Barker won with a bit to spare over Bob Walker, Reading, who was running off 50 yards. Walker just qualified from Bob Melrose, Edinburgh when he dived at the tape to get the verdict during the heats. Eddie Glen of Bathgate came in with a sprint finish to beat Derek Anderson, Earlston in the last few strides to win heat 4. At the bell for the last lap during the final, Barker was in a commanding position, and went on to leave the opposition trailing. Walker was second, and glen third. Dave Currie, Innerleithen put in a power of running to win the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap, and he was a popular winner of the £35 prize and silver challenge cup. Some 32 runners took part, and Currie came from the 35 yards mark to win. Over the first two laps the race was dominated by a pack of around 12 to 14 runners. With the bell for the last lap, Andy Gray of Swinton was in front with Jim Stretch of Dalton lying in fourth place, and Currie making his challenge. Going into the back straight, the Innerleithen runner kicked, and before another hundred yards had been covered, Currie was leading by ten clear yards. At the tape it was Currie, Gray, Stretch and Temple in that order. Jim Jack of Hawick came from the 110 yards mark to win the Two Mile Dunion Handicap. Another Hawick runner, Keith Harley finished second from a start of 100 yards, and Fred Reeves, Barrow, the scratch man took third place.

The blustering wind and dull overcast skies in 1970 may have kept the crowd numbers below that expected, but those who did not attend, even though the sun was not shining from a bright blue sky were the ultimate losers. This was a triumph for the handicapper. Despite an early market, where the favourite for the £200 Jedforest Open Handicap was declared through the tape as the winner, and pressure for a pull was made, it turned out that the critics were wrong. The sprint was a thriller from start to finish. Handicapper, Oswald Sword certainly gave the judges a problem, when Jack Bryce of Lochgelly and Raymond Cracknell from Longtown, appeared to land on the finishing line together. Some fifteen yards from the line it seemed likely that Cracknell who ran from 9 yards was the winner. He set Bryce 6 yards, and was fractionally in front when the roar went up from the crowd. Well turned out and prepared, Cracknell came up to Bryce's shoulder at the critical point, some fifteen yards from home. Bryce, in the way he did at Powderhall in 1956, to beat Innes of Auchtermuchty, never gave up. Bryce surged forward to just take the verdict over Cracknell and Philip Pye of Sunderland in a time of 11.15 seconds. Alan Lindsay, Innerleithen and John Steede, Jedburgh were placed fourth and fifth. A word of congratulation to groundsman, Mr Jerry Weightman for the wonderful condition of the track at Riverside Park. It was obvious that much hard work had gone into the preparation. The wind was blowing down the park, and for the sprinter it was a tail wind. Despite the advantage, one cannot surpass the run by George McNeill, Tranent, in The Invitation Sprint. McNeill came from the scratch mark to record 11.29 seconds. This was a great run, and three watches held at 1/100th, clocked McNeill at 11.29, 11.30 and 11.31 seconds, equal to seven yards inside even time over 120 yards. To define the matter in simpler terms, this was equal to a 9.3 seconds 100 yards race. One of the highlights of this year's Games proved to be the Relay Race. England kept the title through a great last leg run by Ronnie Anderson of Ashington. Scotland held a slight lead until Anderson came in with his run. It was similar to last year, and nobody grudged England their win. Jim Kirk, Lochgelly won the first Dan Wight Memorial Quarter Mile event, by beating David Lowe of Forfar and Alan Scott, Hawick in 51.22 seconds. The Half Mile Merchants Handicap final was full of surprises. From six heat winners, Dave Middleton looked the most unlikely to win, but he had other ideas and raced along with the best to collect the £60 prize. Middleton was not fancied to win in having to face the younger Gray, Bucksburn, Gott, Kendal and Stege, Dalkeith. Stege and Gray, along with Bell of Morbattle made a fast pace over the first lap. Middleton was never out of touch, and did well to stay the pace. Coming up the back straight, Middleton came on with a great run. Gray was first to find the pace too hot, then Gott fell back. Amid the cheers while coming down the home straight, Middleton held on to win from Gott and Gray, with Bell in fourth place. The 100 Yards Confined to the Borders, was won by John Smith, Langholm in 10.25 seconds with an inches verdict over Bill Edgar, Hawick. Credit to Edgar, who ran so well as a 34 year old, from a handicap of 1½ yards. That little extra at the start for an athlete who has not been high amongst the honours for some time would not have been amiss. Dougie Michie, Jedburgh running from a 5½ yards start took third place. Ian Murray, Hawick won The Youth's Half Mile in a manner that would have done credit to many senior competitors. This lad has style and a great heart. Hugh McDowell was a popular and deserving winner of The Henderson Challenge Cup for The Veterans Handicap. Hugh, a fine example to any other man of his age on how to keep fit held off the challenge of Bill Culling. In turn, Culling held off Bill Moffat and Billy Whittaker to take second place. Johnny Blaikie came from the scratch mark and looked well until he stumbled and fell. But Blaikie, a great runner in his day as J Scott, Jedburgh will come back and challenge again to have his name on the trophy. The wrestling under Cumberland and Westmorland Rules proved to be a big attraction. The entrants in the various grades kept interest high here. Local man Jim Ferguson, entered against the stars from the North of England, who won all the main awards. Credit goes to Jim who follows in the steps of his older brother, Sandy, in being the only Jedburgh man to participate. Barry Douglas of Kelso had the One Mile field right up to the last eighty yards. Douglas gave his best display of the summer to finish fourth from an entry of 76 runners. Eddie Glen, Bathgate won the £30 prize and Dan Yule Cup in 4 minutes 14 seconds. Second place went to Jimmy Gray, Glenluce. David Bathgate, Jedburgh was the outstanding local athlete in the Youth's Events. This 14 year old schoolboy won both the challenge cup, and 100 Yards. Powerful in the stride, with determination written all over his face over the last twenty yards, Bathgate looks like being a real prospect. The Two Mile Dunion Handicap, worth £30 to the winner was the scene of a great race. Some 29 runners lined up, and in a sprint finish, Jimmy Gray, Glenluce, got up in the last few strides to beat Keith Harley, Hawick. This was such a good race that it is unfortunate that there could not have been two first prizes. Harley just failed to hold off Gray's finish. T. Daly, Cockermouth, who led for nine laps, finished third ahead of Stuart Tait, Cornhill. During a short break in the afternoon's proceedings, the crowd was entertained by the party and followers of Jethart Callant, Stuart Robertson, an employee with the Royal Bank of Scotland, for the traditional singing of 'Jethart's Here.'

The Games were once again held on the Jedforest Rugby ground at Riverside Park in 1971. Brilliant weather prevailed and with a breeze in favour of the sprinters, times were fast in the Jedforest Open Handicap over 120 yards, and won by 33 year old window cleaner, Philip Pye from Sunderland. This was his first big win on the track. The best fields of the day turned out for the distance handicaps, but the Jedforest Handicap attracted the most attention. After the cross-ties were drawn, Glen Beaumont, Bramley, a physical training teacher and winger with Bradford Northern, displayed power running when he won the first semi-final of five in a time of 10.93 seconds from a handicap of 7½ yards. 25 year old Bob Kennedy, Kelso, pulled back Andy Crawford, Falkirk at the forty five yards stage, and with R. Hamilton, Hawick challenging at the 90 yards mark, Kennedy gave his best run to win tie two in 11.02 seconds. The third tie was keenly fought between Derek Anderson, Earlston, and Ronnie Anderson, Ashington. Stride for stride, the two Andersons fought it out with Dougie Michie, Jedburgh and J. Openshaw, Langley Park, in the vanguard. The verdict went to Ronnie Anderson in a time of 11.25 seconds. Charlie Russell, Jedburgh was the local fancy for the fourth tie, but all eyes were on Billy Hunter, Scotlandwells, and Graham Lowe from Dundee. Lowe came on very strongly at the end to win in 10.90 seconds, bettering Beaumont's earlier time time by 3/100ths. Philip Pye did not have it all his own way in the early stages of the fifth tie, as he appeared to get off to a bad start. Once he got over the vital first three or four stride, he ran strongly to win in 11.05 seconds. The market was a good one for the final with all five men receiving support. At the parade, the finalists came out to be greeted strongly by their supporters. It was a colourful scene set on the best running track in the Borders. Pye got off to an excellent start in the final over Kennedy and was in the lead after thirty yards. Beaumont came in strongly at the finish to get second place, and Lowe was placed third, with Anderson just getting fourth place over Kennedy. The winning time of 10.85 seconds was the fastest final ever, to date at Riverside Park. The previous best was ran in 1964, when Bill Robertson from Lochgelly, Perth won in 10.95 seconds also off 12 yards. The crowd gave a big reception to John Steede, Jedburgh, when he streaked home to win the Dan Wight Invitation 440 Yards event in 50 seconds. D. Lang, Earlston came in second and G. Hunter of Dunfermline, third. Another local lad to receive a warm ovation from the sundrenched crowd was 15 year old David Bathgate of Jedburgh, a pupil at Hawick High School. Trained by Bill Matheson of Jedburgh, Bathgate came very near to turning in even time for The Youths 100 Yards. Ronnie Aitken of Hawick was the only runner from the very strong Borders entry to win a place in the final of the Half Mile Lothian Handicap. Aitken won the last of six heats in 1 minute 54 seconds. Coming from the 30 yards mark, Aitken put in a well judged race to win his place in the final. Fastest up in the heats was Glasgow University student, J. Murnin of Bathgate, who qualified with a very impressive 1 minute 51.8 seconds, running from 60 yards. Murnin went on to win the final from D. Farquhar, Bathgate, and Ronnie Aitken in a very close finish, timed at 1 minute 54.4 seconds. Coming up the back straight, Murnin fought off the challenge of Ian Cook, Dalkeith and George Stark, Glenrothes, with Brian Wilkie of Dalkeith also in touch. During this stage Aitken was still fighting to get on terms with the leaders. He managed to take third place with a sprint finish. During an interval in the meeting, Games president, Mr John Thomson presented John Steede of Jedburgh with a handsome clock. As the presentation was being made, Mr John Hope told the crowd that this gesture was made on behalf of the committee of Jedburgh Border Games. Steede who had recently been awarded the Sportsman of the Year Trophy, was thanked for representing the town of Jedburgh in his great running achievements on the track over the years. During the afternoon the crowd were kept entertained by a troupe of dancers, and were at one stage visited by Jethart Callant Robert Mason, a works study engineer employed at Pringle of Scotland, to sing the traditional verse and chorus of 'Jetharts Here,' with the able support of his following. Another highlight on the programme was the wrestling events, held under Westmorland and Cumberland Association rules. Competition was keen here in the 10½ stone competition, the All weights Open contest and the 12 stone championship for the Hall Memorial Cup. Bill Culling finally won the 70 Yards Veterans Handicap in 1971. Culling who is no stranger to the Games at Riverside, overcame Charlie Russell who claimed second prize and Bill Byres (W Whittaker) in third place to win the event. Bill Barker of Barrow wended his way through a big field to win the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap and take charge of the Yule Challenge Cup. Here again, runners from the Borders were forward in large numbers, but failed to get amongst the prize money. Barker timed his laps to perfection as he passed runner after runner on the way to his ultimate win in 4 minutes 12 seconds from a 50 yards start. J. Stege, Dalkeith put up a very brave show. Although he came second, Stege gave his best performance to date. Harvey Gott, Kendal, the winner of three half mile handicaps already, this season, ran a good race to finish third. John Donald of Hawick, who works for his father on the farm at Boonraw, was the popular winner of The Two Mile Dunion Handicap and collected the The J. & E. Hope Callenge Cup for his victory. The performance of this young 20 year old Borderer, held at bay the strength of the North of England distance runners, to leave K. Summersgill, Skipton in second place, T. Daly, Cockermouth with third position and R. Ingham of Skipton in fourth.


All five competitors pictured approaching the finishing line of the 1972 Jedforest Sprint Handicap final. After some deliberation, the decision was given to John Steede of Jedburgh No 1, but the award of fourth place to Derek Anderson from Earlston, No 5 sparked some controversy amongst the crowd.

Opinions were divided in 1972, over the result of The Jedforest Sprint Handicap, carrying a first prize of £150 and the Jim Dodds Challenge Cup for the winner. Controversy was also added, through a delay in announcing the decision by the judges. Eventually, John Steede of Jedburgh was announced the winner over Derek Anderson from Earlston running from a handicap of 11 yards, who was in receipt of 5½ yards from Steede. George McNeil, Tranent, running from scratch, and Brian Murray, Cupar, off 11 yards were also in the picture at the tape, with R. Crosbie, Penrith, off 14 yards, just inches away from the front quartet. The first semi-final saw Hawick runner, Ronnie Anderson running off 7 yards, clash with John Steede of Jedburgh, who sarted from 5½ yards, along with Jimmy Hogg, Jedburgh, off 11 yards and Graham Lowe, Dundee running from the 6½ yard mark. Lowe was in front at the 100 yards line, as he appeared to brush shoulders with Steede when the Jedburgh man challenged. It was an exciting finish with Steede diving at the tape to win in 11.15 seconds. The time was impressive enough to see Steede installed as the favourite to win the final. Derek Anderson, Earlston, by running off 11 yards had been penalised one yard for his previous £150 win at Galashiels over Tony Pratt of Rochdale. He came in strongly to win his semi-final in 11.50 seconds. Anderson who walked over from his heat was very strong over the last ten yards, beating Drew McLean, Galashiels who ran from 14½ yards and Andy Crawford, Falkirk off the 16 yards mark. Anderson only narrowly beat Crawford, with F. Hanlon, Bonnyrig from the 13½ yards mark coming in third. P. Ward of Rochdale, off 9½ yards lost a yard for a false start in his tie, and this cost him a place in the final. A. Common of Ashington running from 12 yards was in the same tie, along with Eddie Hedley from Bedlington running off 10½ yards. The man the crowd roared home, however, was British Champion George McNeil, Tranent, who won in 11.50 seconds from Ward. McNeil deserved the appreciation shown by the crowd, for his run off the actual scratch mark showed five yards inside even time. Brian Murray from Cupar, a 21 year old compositor with the Fife Herald, won his semi-final in 11.37 seconds after starting from the 11 yards mark, from R. Oliver of Cowdenbeath, who ran off 5 yards. Murray, arriving at the hundred yard mark, also caught J. Watson, Penrith running off 15 yards, and Stuart Renwick, Peebles who started from 11½ yards. B. Kelly from Chirnside handicapped from 13 yards and R. Crosbie, Penrith running from 14 yards held the lead over the first eighty yards in their semi-final. T. Burns of Barrow, starting at 12½ yards was pulled a yard for jumping the gun. It cost him dearly, as he came home second to 34 year old Crosbie, who won in 11.28 seconds. There was no doubt that the crowd on the terracing were not in agreement when it was announced that Steede had won the £150 prize with McNeil second, Murray third and Anderson fourth. Many thought that Derek Anderson had won the rich prize, but the Berwickshire painter was rather bewildered himself, when only placed fourth out of five runners. Much of the dispute could well have been averted, had the officials in the ring given the result at the end of the race. The delay in doing so only suggested that the result seemed indecisive. Congratulations to the committee on acquiring the services of an excellent starter, in Mr Wilt Talentire of Penrith. He had the answer to the 'wise men' in the sprint who try the "flier. The starter gained praise and admiration in his ban approach to the men on the big marks as well as the scratch runner. Here we have an example of sustaining the respectful image of Jedburgh Border Games. D. J. Lowe of Dundee won the 120 Yards Inviatation Handicap Sprint in 11.48 seconds from R. Oliver, Cowdenbeath and Mike Murray, Barrow. The event was a good race with George McNeil and Ivor McAnany also up on the line. The 440 Yards Invitation Race, sponsored by Sadie Lindsay was a victory for Ronnie Anderson of Ashington off scratch in a time of 51.25 seconds. J. Hunter, Dunfermline running from 4 yards who led right up to the straight came in second and J. McLaren, Kincardine was third. Johnny Blaikie, running from a 2 yards start, was this years winner of The Handicap for Men over 45 Years over Bobby Cummings, the scratch man. Blaikie was presented with The Henderson Challenge Cup for his win. It must have been an all time record at Jedburgh Games for five out of the six heats in the £60 Merchants Half Mile Handicap, all who came from Hawick. Odd man out was J. R. Fleming, Thornton running off 100 yards who led until the back straight on the last lap. The final emerged into a thriller at this point, for up until now, David Thomson, Hawick, off 60 yards and W. R. Charters, Hawick, off 55 yards had been in with a chance of breaking the field. Local butcher, Alan Scott, running off 40 yards also seemed to be in with a chance. Douglas Scott, a 21 year old joiner, trained by his father took the lead with 150 yards to run. It was a well timed effort, with Alan Scott shaking off the other challengers for second place. Fleming attempted to get back on terms just before the home straight, but had to be content with third place. Rob Hall, an 18 year old Weights and Measures trainee, won the Edinburgh and Leith Plate One Mile Handicap £35 prize and the Yule Challenge Cup. The last lap was a race over every stride between Hall and Brian Emerson, Hawick. Both were running off the 120 yards mark, and with Emerson doing the leading out work, Hall was content to sit and keep his final burst for the last 100 yards. The crowd just loved it as the two runners ran neck and neck over the final stages of this race. Elsdon from Hawick, and Kerr and Ferguson of Kelso, had all been in the leading pack at one stage. Hall took the lead in the straight, and despite Emerson's gallant effort to get back, he was beaten by a yard. Jack Knox of Selkirk was forced to withdraw on the second lap with a spiked leg injury. Bill Barker, Barrow came home to take third place. This was a second big win for Robert Hall, for only the previous week, he won the 800 meteres at Galashiels. The crowd applauded the Two Mile Dunion Handicap win of former British Olympic Marathon runner Jim Hogan from Wellingborough. Hogan won the race, easy style in 9 minutes 48 seconds to be awarded the J & E Hope Challenge Cup and £30 first prize money. Robert Hall of Jedburgh, running from 220yards, manged to stay with Hogan for a while, but the Irishman, who was prominent in the Mexico Olympic Games and also at Tokyo, pulled away to take the lead. W. J. Raeburn, Hawick who started from 130 yards, moved into second place at this stage, and did well to finish in this position. Despite the early confusion, the afternoon's meeting offered a warm welcome to Jethart Callant, William Brown, an employee of Thuleknit Knitwear at Bankend, and his festival followers in singing the ever popular local song, 'Jethart's Here.'

Top of Page