Home About Us Our Story Jedsprint Programme Results Parade
1853-1877 1878-1899 1919-1939 1946-1959 1960-1972 1973-1989 1990-2009 2010-ON

By the turn of the 20th century, Jedburgh Border Games had become a well established first rate athletics institution that drew crowds from not only the immediate localities, but from much greater distances, including exiled callants living as far away as Australia and Canada. The Border Games had now become an opportunity for Jethart exiles to revisit their home town, renew old friendships and acquaintances and make new friends who were now abound since the time they left the place of their birth to seek opportunities abroad. The gate takings for the previous year in 1899 of £120 and two shillings, were the highest ever recorded.

  The Jedburgh Border Games Committee at the turn of the century who were responsible for taking the highest recorded gate money since the event began in 1853. Games committee president Henry Miller is seated in the centre of the group wearing the fisherman style grey beard.

As usual, the 1900 ceremonies began at 6.00 am precisely, and on the first stroke of the hour, the small cannon that had become affectionately known as Mons Meg was fired and flags were hoisted on the abbey tower and the castle, to indicate that the Games were under way for another year. The cannonading continued until all four quarters of the earth were duly certified that the occasion had come, and during this time, the bells continued to be rung. The Jedforest Instrumental Band under its leader Mr G. Ballantyne started on a tour of the town to rouse the few inhabitants who had not yet realised that this was the Games morning. After the starting ceremonies had been carried out and duly accomplished, most of those who had gathered in the Market Square followed the quoiters and cricket ball throwers to the Lothian Park, where competitions were at once got under way. The morning's events continued with wrestling for youths, putting the light ball of 6 pounds and the heavy ball of 26 pounds, and the Glasgow Prize, Handicap race of 120 yards. The start of the final was worthy of the importance of this event. First prize was won by James Ferguson, Dundee, but the finish was so close, that the judges decided Armstrong, Clark and Ferguson should run over again, where there was another splendid race. J. Clark, Hawick was awarded second, and third place went to J. Armstrong, Selkirk. A field of twenty made a splendid show in the Lothian Handicap 800 yards Confined Race, although this gradually decreased. In the last round, A. Paterson, Kelso running from scratch, shot ahead in fine style and was a good winner. The afternoon's first event, The One Mile Open Foot Race was also won by Paterson. Seven turned out for the final of the 215 yards Jedburgh Prize, which was a hard race with a close finish. The winner, William Campbell of Swinton had a yard to give, but the others finished in a cluster. Of two Jed men, who entered the Open Wrestling Competition, R. Douglas made the final bout and took second prize to winner J. Scott from Carlisle. The Bicycle Handicap of One Mile, was ultimately won by J. Probert of Jed-forest Cycling Club, racing from scratch. Mr D. McLeod's Caledonian troupe of dancers and pipers from Dundee gave admirable performances during the day and were frequently applauded for their skills.

An extensive and substantial new stand was commissioned for the Border Games of 1901 at a cost of over £100. The expenditure was rendered necessary by the frail conditions of the old stand, and the duty of the committee to provide to their utmost, for the safety of the public. This makes a heavy demand on the treasury of the Games, but we know that this year their patrons in the town and district have subscribed generously to increase their financial support. The 100 Yards Foot Race, first open race of the day fell to T. D. Roberts, Leith. The final of the 120 Yards Glasgow Prize Handicap was run amidst great excitement and uncertainty as to who the winner might be. It was a fine race, where W. Campbell of Swinton running from 14 yards, gained at the end and was a good winner. the others were all distinctly separated, and there was no question about R. Robert, Jedburgh taking second prize and J. Tinlin from Darlington (late of Jedburgh) taking third. Seventeen entries for The 800 Yards Lothian Handicap provided a good spectacle. Second prize winner R. Anderson, Jedburgh made good pace, but was unable to catch the winner, A. L. Tait from Selkirk. The finish of the Open 215 Yards Jedburgh Prize was again, this year very close. James Ferguson, Dundee claimed the first prize of £7 with our own R. Robert of Jed coming in to take second place. The One Mile Bicycle Handicap went to Joseph Clark, a novice representative of Hawick Cycling Club handicapped off 320 yards, followed in by team mate A. L. Barrie who took second place. The Open Wrestling Prize came to Bob Douglas, Jedburgh after a victory over J. Graham in the fourth round, final. Strong of Carlisle, a regular visitor, who intended to take part in the All-weights wrestling, was, owing to late trains, unable to get forward in time. He arrived when the final was going on. The Melbourne Prize, a 400 yards race open to all was won by D. Roberts, Leith. The handicapping throughout had been well calculated and many of the events were marked by close finishes.

Cumberland and Westmorland Wrestling Competitions were contested at Jedburgh Border Games. George Steadham takes hold of Clarke of Hexham in the 54 year old champion's last appearance at Grasmere in 1900.  

In July 1902, a letter was received by the Games Committee, signed by Jedburgh lads working in Tyneside, guaranteeing a sum of £20 as prize money for the Games, on the condition that the name of the Glasgow Prize be changed to the Tyneside Prize, and that the money offered, be given for that race. It was unanimously agreed to accept the offer, and to change the name of the 120 yards Sprint Handicap to the 'Tyneside Prize.'

The proceedings for the day started at six o'clock as usual. The weather was bright with a bracing breeze and there was the promise of a good day ahead. Compared with last year, the variations in the detail of the competitive programme were so slight as to need no comment. The Open Foot Race of 100 yards was won by T. F. Keane, late of America, and now living in the town. Second place also went to an American runner, M. Williams who now lives locally. The last Glasgow Prize was a good final. The start was excellent, and for a time the men were almost abreast. Allen made a great dash to the front at the finish, and was a clear winner. Second was H. Ellis, Jedburgh. A protest was lodged against Allen, suggesting that the race had been rigged, but was afterwards withdrawn. Nineteen runners started the 800 Yards Lothian Handicap, but a good pace drove half of them out. R. Anderson of Jedburgh was a steady winner having a couple of yards to spare from Williams of Galashiels. The Jedburgh Prize Handicap of 215 Yards was won by the native American back marker, Williams off 9½ yards, leaving Struth from Edinburgh to take second place. Williams made his way out to the front in fine style, and was a popular winner. A. L. Barrie of Hawick Cycling Club, last years runner up, took first prize in The One Mile Bicycle Handicap. Jedburgh's Bob Douglas gave a good show during The Open Wrestling contest, but failed to floor Steadman from Brough in the third round. The final prize ultimately went to J.Strong of Carlisle, whose late punctuallity had cost him the title last year. The Melbourne Prize of 400 yards came to the American T. F. Keane. At times in the afternoon there were spells of rain.

On 20th October 1902, there was a large attendance of the public, including the President, Secretary, and several members of the Committee of Jedburgh Border Games, at Jedburgh Sheriff Court to hear the case of Richard Rawcliffe, a pedestrian, residing at Friarside, Newcastle-on-Tyne, who was charged with fraud in connection with the Glasgow Handicap footrace of 120 yards at Jedburgh Border Games. Rawcliffe, (whose professional name is Scott) was brought to Jedburgh on Friday afternoon in custody of Sergeant Baxter, having been apprehended at Consett. He was taken before Sheriff Baillie on Friday evening, emitted declaration, and was committed for trial. Rawcliffe allowed his name to be entered as T. Allen, Newcastle, for the handicap race known as the Glasgow handicap, run in the Lothian Park, Jedburgh, on 12th July, he well-knowing the said statement to be false, and did thereby mislead the Committe in charge of said race as to his true identity, and did induce the Committee by his fraudulent statement to allow him 13½ yards of start. When he won his first heat, having been challenged by the Committee for running in a wrong name, he repeated and adhered to his statement that his name was Allen, whereby he was allowed to run in the final and won the race, and did thereby defraud the Committee of the sum of £7, which was the prize paid to him as the winner. Mr Laidlaw, Depute Fiscal said that the sum of £7 had been refunded since the prisoner was apprehended. The prisoner had written to the Secretary of the Games Committee stating that he was the tool of another man (who was named), who had entered him for this handicap without his knowledge. When he came to Jedburgh he was not aware that he was to run in the name of T. Allen. The sheriff said that not withstanding the statement that the accused had been made a fool and a tool by another man, this was a very serious case, and taking everything into account, he fined him £5, with the option of going to prison for fourteen days. The fine was paid immediately. The name of T. Allen was received by post in the usual way along with the names of others belonging to Newcastle for entry in the Glasgow handicap. A start of 13½ yards was allowed to T. Allen, in accordance with his record. Had Rawcliffe entered using his own professional name, he would have been given 6½ or 7 yards. After Allen had won his heat in the Glasgow Prize on the Games Day, quite a hubub arose in the pedestrians tent, and the news brought to the Games officials was that a number of men in the tent declared that the man who was running as T. Allen was not Allen at all. Members of the Committee challenged the man. He was formally asked if his name was Allen, and he quite composedly declared that it was. The Committee, who were determined that nothing should be left undone to get at the truth, requested one of their number to take a photograph of the man, who stood up quite steadfastly to have this done. Several photographs of him were secured, but one of the most curious incidents connected with the affair was that it was afterwards found that all of the photographic plates had been spoiled. They had been left in one of the tents during the afternoon. Some days after the Games, it became known amongst men who are well-informed in these matters, that Allen could not have been running at Jedburgh Border Games on 12th July, as he was otherwise engaged that particular day. The question then arising was, who was the man who impersonated Allen? A description was communicated to an expert in the North of England, who with confidence, offered a suggestion as to who this man was. He was to appear at several Athletics meetings in England, and by arrangement, a member of the Jedburgh Committee went to one of these meetings and at once identified Rawcliffe as the winner of the Glasgow Prize. From that time he was wanted by the police. He succeeded in keeping out of their hands till last week. It is suspected that the fraud had been deliberately planned in the Newcastle neighbourhood, which several people were either actively engaged in, or had a knowledge of.

  The miniature cannon affectionately named 'Mons Meg' has been used to salute the traditional start of the ceremonies at the hour of six o' clock on Games Day morning every year since the occasiion was first instituted during the year 1853.

The managers of Jedburgh Border Games in 1903, in celebration of the Jubilee Event, issued a programme of great attraction. The total value of the prizes put forward for competition was £150. The most distinguished event now, is 'The Tyneside Prize' of £20. This handsome prize is donated by Jedburgh lads and their friends who reside and work in the Newcastle-upon-Tyne area in the North of England. The new event has taken the place of the Glasgow Prize and drew a big and brilliant entry of competitors. On the stroke of six o'clock the Band started from Market Place on a tour of the town, to the tune of 'Jetharts Here'. The cannon was duly discharged, flags were hoisted on the Abbey and the Castle, and the town bells were rung. Many people then went to Lothian Park where the quoiting and cricket ball throwing took place. J. Ferguson of Dundee took winning place in the first major event, The 100 Yards Open Foot Race by a yard from three Edinburgh contestants who took second, third and fourth place. In the first 120 Yards 'Tyneside Prize' Open Handicap Race final of the Games, the winner, J. W. Allan, Galashiels was clear ahead. Allan's supporters were jubilant. Second, Douglas, Hawick and third, Laidlaw, Selkirk finished, separated by an inch or two. Strangely, the runners most talked about were out of the handicap before the final. The One Mile Bicycle Handicap was won by A. L. Barrie of Hawick for the second successive year. During the Lothian Handicap of 800 yards, all three in the lead finished in different styles. J. McBain from Hawick finished first from a 44 yards start. Patterson of Kelso did well from scratch to take second place and G. Dalgleish, Oxnam came in third. The 215 Yards Open Jedburgh Prize was won by R. Wilson from Leith. Tom Brandon of Edinburgh was second. The Merchants Handicap, an open flar race over half a mile was a close finish this year with W. Struth, Edinburgh the winner of the £3 prize. Bob Douglas from Jedburgh was thrown out of The Open Wrestling in the semi-final event this year by J. Strong of Carlisle. Strong went on to win, M. Steadman, Brough took second place and Douglas, third. The Melbourne Prize, 400 Yards Flat Race was won by C. Thomas, Lasswade.

The Games made a propitious star at 6 o'clock in the morning in the summer of 1904. The Jedforest Band under the conductorship of Mr Ballantyne made it's annual musical pilgrimage around the streets of the town, after the cannon firing ceremony had taken place, and the flag on the Abbey tower bearing the arms of the Kerr family fluttered in the cool morning breeze. Photographs of the opening ceremony were taken by Mr R. Jack, The Studio, Bongate. The Open Foot Race of 100 Yards was a good finish. Five ran, with D. Roberts of Leith winning first prize, followed by J. Ferguson of Dundee second and J. Wright, Hawick third. The final of The Tyneside Prize created much excitement, and the finish was so close, that it added to the intense feeling of the moment. Wight and Habick were running neck and neck at a couple of yards from the end. R. Wight, of Jedburgh who started from the 18 yards spot broke the tape three inches in front of T. Wight (T. C. Habick), Jedburgh, to claim the £20 first prize. R. Warwick of Langholm was very close in behind the two to take third place. A thoroughly well contested race all through. Walter Hope from Oxnam, starting at 50 yards won first prize in the 800 Yards Lothian Handicap Race confined to the Border Counties. A. Scott, Hawick was second and E, Nichol, Hawick was third. Both Hawick men running from 60 yards. The pace was too fast for most of the eighteen who started, and many retired from the event before the finish. The weather continued, still entirely favourable into the afternoon, and there was a great attendance of spectators. The stands were well occupied and the ring was thronged. W. Struth of Edinburgh won the first prize of £7 by winning the Open Jedburgh Prize of 215 Yards by about two yards from a start at the 15 yards mark. D. Roberts of Leith came in second off 5 yards and third prize went to H. Howden of Edinburgh running from 10 yards. A. W. Oliver of Jedforest Cycling Club was the final prize winner of The One Mile Bicycle Handicap, after entering from the heats as the fastest second placed rider. Second place went to Robert Wilson, also from the Jedforest Club, who had already beat Oliver in the fourth heat to guarantee his place in the final. The result of the Open Wrestling contest, was another win by the experienced professional J. Strong from Carlisle who won the £5 prize. The second prize of £2/10/- was taken by Bob Douglas, Jedburgh. The Jedforest Instrumental Band occupied a stand on the ground and performed selections of music under the direction of Mr George Ballantyne. The Glengarry Troupe of National & American Speciality dancers, and Miss Dollan, champion lady dancer of the world, were engaged by the Committee for the occasion, and their skill and style greatly pleased the spectators.

Accounts for the last 5 Years (Credit Balance includes Balance carried forward from previous year)
Year 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904
Income £177/10/9d £218/12/8d £203/15/8d £257/12/10d £225/10/10d
Expenditure £182/1/2½d £304/8/10½d £164/12/4d £214/5/11d £224/8/11d
Credit Balance £107/12/9½d £21/16/7d £56/19/11d £100/6/10d £101/8/9d

An early twentieth century crowd at Lothian Park. This was a social opportunity for Edwardians to dress up in their best clothes and mingle with the aristocracy and notaries of the town and district on an equal footing. This annual meeting in the social calendar could not be missed if you were a resident in Jedburgh.

With healthy gate receipts and more prestigious competitors entering for events, by 1905, the Border Games were well endorsed as part of the district's local twentieth century lifestyle. They had now become the Blue Riband Athletics Meeting in Scotland's summer calendar. The morning ceremonial was carried through in bright weather, in the presence of a large concourse of people and with all the rites that have been sanctioned by use and wont. Only three started The Open Foot Race of 100 Yards, and this was essentially between Roberts and Wright, the latter leading to within three yards of the tape, when D. Roberts of Leith, last years winner, put on speed to win by half a yard. J. Wright , Hawick had to make do with second place, and J. Innes of Portsoy was satisfied with third. The five man final of The Tyneside Prize of 120 yards got off to a good start. T. Barrie from Edinburgh was a splendid winner by a couple of yards. Smith and Fish were very close at the finish, Smith of Hawick coming in second place and W. Fish of Jedburgh taking third. A. Renalson of Edinburgh ran in fourth, but was not allowed the place, on account of being a second finalist in the same tie with Fish. Of thirteen starters, three made a great finish amidst much excitement during the Lothian Handicap Race of 800 Yards. The judges decided a dead heat for the three, and the money was divided equally between G. Gordon, Galashiels, the scratch man, W. McBain, Hawick off 32 yards, and J. W. Hall, Jedburgh who ran from 60 yards. The result of The Open Wrestling competition was a repeat from last year. J. Strong of Carlisle took first prize leaving the runner-up prize to Bob Douglas from Jedburgh. The Jedburgh Prize Handicap Flat Race of 215 yards was an all Edinburgh conclusion, once again carried off by W. Struth, last years winner, seconded by W. McKinnon, with R. Rennie taking third place completing an 'Auld Reekie' victory. A. W. Oliver of Jedburgh Cycling Club also completed a second successive win in the One Mile Bicycle Handicap with Jedforest team mate, Thomas Scott taking second place in front of Thomas Small of the Hawick Club who was third. Some good additional entertainment was provided by Mr David Anderson's Troupe of Highland dancers and pipers.

The 1906 programme of events and prizes showed that the Games were in full vigour. The principal foot racing event was 'The Tyneside Prize'a 120 yards race on the flat and open to all, with a first prize of £15. Many Jethart exiles living in other places had arrived for the occasion on Thursday and Friday and a large proportion of these had evidently, determined not to miss any of the day's events and accordingly were present at the early parade. A grey morning with a cool breeze and a steady 'glass' was generally regarded as an augury of fair weather. Most of the early risers who attended the ceremonies continued on to Lothian park to witness the Quoiting Handicap and Cricket Ball Throwing. The 100 Yards Foot Race Open to All was won this year by J. Wright, Hawick. Second was D. Roberts , Leith and third place went to last years Tyneside Prize winner, T. Barrie of Edinburgh. This years Tyneside Prize final, regarded as the principal event of the day, was another exciting spectacle with a fine start and a grand finish. G. Douglas of Hawick who started off 14 yards took first prize from S. Shepherd, Edinburgh off 13 yards, with a yard to spare. J. C. Laidlaw from Selkirk, starting from the 15 yard mark came in with the others, inches behind Shepherd, to take third place. From a field of twenty, half a dozen finished the Lothian Handicap of 800 yards. R. Dickinson, Hawick won from J. Mein, Jedburgh, leaving W. Graham, Peebles in third position. It was a very close race between Dickinson and Mein. Mr Walter Hogg of Ancrum was presented by the Committee with a gold medal to mark his completion of twenty-five years as a competitor at these Games. First prize in the Jedburgh Handicap of 215 Yards went to A. Renalson from Jedburgh. It was a fast race and an exciting finish. Renalson was a popular winner. He had a good lead at the close and was holding the advantage of a 24 yards start. A. Henderson, Edinburgh, was second off 18 yards and J. Combes, Hawick held third from the 19 yard mark. Bob Douglas, Jedburgh, took first prize in the Open Wrestling event by beating W. Little of Peelanick. Strong of Carlisle was this year once again, conspicuous by his absence. The One Mile Bicycle Handicap went to Hawick Cycling Club in a win for A. B. Hobkirk. Second and third prizes were won by Jedforest Club members W. Turnbull and Adam Hunter respectively. Mr D. McLeod's Caledonian Troupe of dancers and pipers whose performances were thoroughly enjoyed by all were repeatedly applauded for their excellence. The entries for all the events showed an increase from 1905.

  Bob Douglas of Jedburgh, who played for Jedforest Rugby Football Club was, on many occasions, a popular winner of the Open Wrestling competitions at Jedburgh Border Games. He went on to win the World Championship at Strathallan in 1912.

The weather was wet, and had been wet for a couple of hours before six o' clock at the ceremonies held for the 1907 Border Games. Consequently, the gathering in Market Place was not so large as has been seen in previous years. At precisely the same time as the cannon discharged it's first salvo, Jedforest Instrumental Band struck up and under the leadership of Mr McLevy, set off on a tour around the streets of the town. The bells peeled from the clock steeple, and the banner emblazoned with chevron and mullets was raised to the top of the staff on the abbey tower. The first major ped event of the day, The 100 Yards Open Foot Race was won by T. Brandon, Edinburgh. J. Wright, Hawick was second and W. S. Dales, Portobello third. A fast race with a good finish. The Tyneside Prize final was a good start, and amidst great excitement, a very close finish. Fish came in only a shade behind the winner. First prize was won by R. Emond from Selkirk, W. Fish, Jedburgh as described, picked up the second prize and James Purves, Kelso was third. A splendid race. The Lothian Handicap was a close finish between James Douglas, Selkirk, the ultimate winner and G. Dalgleish, Oxnam who came second. A large field of nineteen started, of whom more than half retired. W. H. Jamieson of Bonchester took third place in this event. Rain had been falling intermittently throughout the morning, and the weather wore an unpromising aspect. It was only drizzling rain, however, and did not interfere much with the progress of the sports, although the attendance was somewhat below normal. The weather did improve, as the day continued. The Jedburgh Prize Handicap of 215 Yards was won by W. Murray, Hawick who started on 21 yards. T. Pearson, Edinburgh was there in second place, arriving from an 18 yard mark and third place went to H. Murray of Hawick who ran off 22 yards. Another great race with a close and exciting finish. Jedburgh's Bob Douglas was not represented in The Open Wrestling contest this year, although Strong from Carlisle had come back, and successfully took the first prize, by putting T. Tunstall of Broughton out in the final. The One Mile Bicycle Handicap final this year was an all Jedforest Club competition, with Adam Hunter in first place, Walter Turnbull placed second and club mate George Tinline third. The Town Council granted the use of Lothian Park this year on the condition that the Games Committee exhibit posters prohibiting betting, to enable the police authorities to enforce the law within the park.

At six o'clock in the morning, when the twelve hour programme was opened for 1908, there was a good attendance of persons of all ages and both sexes to witness the initiatory ceremonies. The weather was dull, and there was a slight fall of rain, following some of the previous few days of showery weather, but there was a hopeful spirit abroad. The exactness of the starting ceremony which is regarded as a point of importance, was never more strictly observed. Last year, it may be remembered, the Town Council stipulated as a condition of granting the use of the park, that betting was to be prohibited. The managers of the Games were doubtful about the effect of the prohibition on the attendance and financial returns. This year they acquiesced in the arrangement, and the 'bookie' was tabooed. The Games may now be said to fall within the law, founded upon a no-betting system. After the early events had taken place and the first youths events had been decided, the 100 Yards Open Foot Race was ran. A field of seven got off to a fine start with J. McMillan, Hawick coming in to win the first prize. J. Peebles, Edinburgh was second, and T. Brandon, Edinburgh took third prize. Only a few inches separated the competitors throughout the race. The final of the Tyneside Prize was won by D. Gordon of Falkirk, running off 12 yards. Second place went to A. Peebles from Edinburgh with a handicap of 11 yards, and J. McMillan from Hawick, who had earlier won the 100 yards event was placed third from a 9½ yards start. Fish of Jedburgh won his heat, but was knocked out in the first tie. Eighteen started The Lothian Handicap of 800 yards, but the pace was hard and only six finished. G. Watson, Leitholm was the winner from a handicap of 18 yards. J. Caldwell, Selkirk from a 30 yards start took second place, and the scratch man, G. Dalgleish, Oxnam held third position, all three prize winners coming in together. The Jedburgh Prize Handicap of 215 yards went to Fred Wight of Jedburgh, J. Walker, Selkirk was second and T. Barrie, Edinburgh was third. A great deal of interest was taken in this race, and Wight was a popular as well as an easy winner. The Open Wrestling contest was won again by Bob Douglas of Jedburgh who threw J. Hedley of Brou'ton in the final. Strong from Carlisle did not put in an appearance this year. E. Brown of Tweedside CC was the victor in The One Mile Bicycle Handicap. W. Reay took second prize and G. Waugh took third. Both are members of Jedforest CC. Performances by Mr D. McLeod's Caledonian troupe of dancers and pipers again found much favour with the spectators. Heavy rain fell towards the end of the day.

Henry Miller (M Henry) of Jedburgh, who won the 120 Yards Tyneside Prize Handicap in 1909 was the son of Games ex-president and ex-Provost Miller, the local fish merchant. Henry went on to win the Powder Hall Sprint in 1913.

The business of the day began at six o'clock and the number of persons who gathered in the Market Place at that hour in 1909, to see the opening proceedings was larger than usual. Many old friends and visitors were among them. The weather had given some cause for anxiety. There had been much rain on Friday, and also at an early hour on Saturday morning. Now, at 6.00 am the sky was blue, and only some light fleecy clouds were to be seen. Bright sunshine and a breeze completed ideal weather conditions, but it seemed almost too dainty to be durable. As has been the case for two years, betting was prohibited in the park. A good field of ten entered for The 100 Yards Open Handicap, and the race ended as a completely Edinburgh affair. T. Brandon was winner by a full yard. W. Dales, second and A. Peebles who was third, were all held to a close finish. The final of the Tyneside prize Handicap of 120 Yards was run in a shower of rain. Henry Miller of Jedburgh who was handicapped from 18 yards was a clear winner, and the places of the others were well defined. A. Peebles, Edinburgh, running from 9½ yards took second place, and G. Taylor, Jedburgh, off 17 yards took third. The 800 Yards Lothian handicap was, again a hard race this year, fielding seventeen entrants. W. Goodfellow led for some time, but dropped back. A. Sterricks of Peebles was a good winner, starting off 20 yards, Walter Hope, Jedburgh who started from scratch, came in second in a close finish with the others. Third place went to H. Meikle, Selkirk, who started from 20 yards. A slight shower of rain fell at noon, but on the whole the weather was very pleasant. The ground was in fine order, and when the events continued in the afternoon, a very large attendance of spectators was evident. Last year's entry for the Jedburgh Prize of 215 Yards, was exceeded by thirteen. J. Oliver, (J Nichol) of Jedburgh held his place splendidly, and had a great cheer for his success. A. Peebles, Edinburgh was placed second and W. Fish from Jedburgh was third. Bob Douglas from Jedburgh took the victory in The Open Wrestling contest over Musgrove of Carlisle. J. Strong of Carlisle who had already been put out of contention by Douglas in the third round, shared fourth prize with Armstrong who was also from Carlisle. The One Mile Bicycle Handicap final was a great race between T.T. Oliver of Jedburgh Cycling Club, ultimately the runner up, and this year's winner, Ed Brown, from Tweedside Cycling Club. Adam Hunter, Oliver's team mate from Jedburgh took third place. Miss Georgina Bathgate's Caledonian troupe of dancers and pipers gave skilful and attractive performances during the course of the day. Jedforest Instrumental Band, conducted by Mr J. Hewie occupied a stand on the ground, and discoursed music while the Games were in progress.

Accounts for the last 5 Years (Credit Balance includes Balance carried forward from previous year)

Year 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909
Income £214/9/3d £207/15/5d £192/1/6d £193/13/8d £188/18/2d
Expenditure £204/19/7d £207/14/1d £199/8/6d £206/11/5½d £191/0/2½d
Credit Balance £110/18/5d £110/19/9d £103/12/9d £90/14/11½d £88/12/11d

There were some gratifying illustrations in 1910, of the place that The Border Games hold in the hearts of Jedburgh people and their friends. Contributions to the funds came from various places abroad as well as from more or less distant towns in the British Isles, and all were accompanied with good wishes. The weather was dull and cool, but by no means unpromising of favourable conditions for the day. The day's proceedings were announced in gladsome tones at the hour of six. The Jedforest Band struck up a merry march and went off on it's tour of the main streets Flags were hoisted on the Castle and the Abbey tower, and the joy bells in the town steeple were rung after the cannon firing ceremony. The 100 Yards Open Handicap was once again this year an all Edinburgh victory. From five starters, A. Peebles won from A. Henderson, and last years winner T. Brandon took third place. The Tyneside Prize was won this year by J. Paris from Edinburgh. Paris shot to the front and won by an inch or two in the last few strides. Both Fish of Jedburgh, who was running off 10 yards, and Paris dead heated in the first tie. The race was ran again and Paris, who handicapped at 8 yards was the winner to give him his place in the final. D. F. Pringle, Innerleithen took second prize from A. Peebles, Edinburgh who was third. A field of ten showed for The Lothian Handicap of 800 Yards and the pace was good. The first prize went to W. Goodfellow, Jedburgh, second was J. D. Murray of Jedburgh and third, W. H. Jamieson from Bonchester, the back marker on 23 yards. A couple of yards divided the prize winners at the finish. The weather was bright and pleasant after the lunch time adjournment. The sunshine at times becoming quite brilliant. There were 43 entries for The Jedburgh Prize Handicap of 215 yards. The £7 first prize was won by A. Henderson, Edinburgh. In second place came A. Peebles, Edinburgh, and local man J. W. Thomson of Jedburgh took third prize. The Open Wrestling event was won again for the third successive year by Bob Douglas of Jedburgh. This year Douglas put J. Ridley of Bewcastle out in the final. The withdrawal of the S. C. U. permit for the cycling events, which was the subject of debate and much letter writing did not adversely affect the entries to the competitions. Winner of the One Mile Bicycle Handicap was A. Armstrong with G. Waugh of Jedburgh, placed second and A. Hunter, Jedburgh, third. Performances of much skill were given by Miss M. Arthur's Glencoe troupe of Highland and characteristic dancers from Dundee.

  Jedforest Instrumental Band sets off from Market Square at ten o'clock on Games morning 1911, to take their place in the bandstand at Lothian Park and provide a musical accompaniment while the Games events get underway. Late comers who gathered in the Square would usually follow the band on it's march to the venue.

Though there was a great deal of stir in town on Friday night during 1911, on the evening before the events, and the pulses of the young people were already beating fast when they watched the arrival of visitors and athletes while listening to the performance of the band, the scenes of the Games morning are required to bring their spirits fully into tune with the character and traditions of Games day. To a moment, at six o'clock on Saturday morning, the joy bells from the town steeple, being manipulated by Mr R. W. Robertson, sent out merry peels, the cannon was discharged and a flag was run up the flagstaff of the Abbey tower. Meanwhile, Jedforest Instrumental Band under the leadership of Mr. J. Hewie started on a tour which carried the joyful intelligence to other parts of the town. The morning was dull and cool, in contrast with the excessive heat and bright sunshine of the previous days of the week. When the opening ceremony had been duly completed, many of the people gathered, proceeded to the park to see the quoiting and cricket ball throwing events taking place. On the arrival of the band shortly after ten o'clock, the Games were resumed in the presence of a considerable gathering of spectators on the stands and in the ring seats. First prize for the 100 Yards Open Handicap Foot Race was won by W. Dales, Edinburgh. W. R. Knox of Canada came in second, with only a foot separating him from the winner, creating an exciting finish. The other five runners finished in a cluster, with A. Henderson picking up third place. The 120 Yards Open Handicap Flat Race was run this year as 'The Coronation Handicap' in reverence to the crowning of King George V as the new sovereign of our Great British Empire. The winner was W. Coltherd (C Boswell) of Jedburgh who ran from 14½ yards. Wight (Fred Clark) from Jedburgh, off the 15 yard mark took second prize and Wight (J W Thomson), also of Jedburgh took third place from a start of 14 yards. The finish was very close with the first three arriving within inches of one another. The Lothian Handicap, a flat race of 800 yards and confined to the Border Counties, was this year won by J. Palmer of Selkirk from a 24 yards start. W. Goodfellow from Jedburgh came in second, after starting at 18 yards, and third place was taken by Walter Hope, Jedburgh, the back marker off 4 yards. There were thirteen starters, and only a yard separated the prize winners at the finish. E. Oliver of Selkirk was the final victor in the Jedburgh Handicap of 215 yards. Second place was taken by Wight (J W Thomson), Jedburgh and H. Cowan from Leven held on to third place from a total of seven who were placed in the final. First prize in the Open Wrestling event went to Bob Douglas, Jedburgh who out manouvred G. Common of Harbottle into second place in the final bout. G. Irvine of Jedburgh threw G. Turnbull of Jedburgh to take third and fourth prizes respectively. There were five in the final of the One Mile Bicycle Handicap. G. Telfer of Jedburgh led for most of the way. Stevenson caught him in the run home, to win in a very close finish. T. T. Telfer, Jedburgh finished second, and G. Telfer third. This years performance entertainment was provided by the MacBain Troupe of Highland and characteristic dancers and pipers who provided an attractive skilful display that was greatly enjoyed by the crowds.

The opening ceremonies for Jedburgh Border Games in 1912 were performed under the most favourable auspices. The weather was fine and a large number of people assembled in Market Place. Numerous visitors had arrived at Jedburgh by railway train, and some also by road conveyances. The morning ceremonies were, as always, carried out with the most perfect precision. From the Abbey tower, the flag of the Kerrs was again, displayed to mark the occasion. Immediately afterwards, the quoiters and cricket ball throwers were called to their places for the early morning events. Though there were some clouds overhead when the Games resumed at ten o'clock, the weather still continued fair, and with a slight breeze, the prospects for the day were good. The band marched from Market Place to the park, attended and followed by a considerable company of people. Bells were rung and the cannon was fired again. There were four starters for the Foot Race of 100 Yards, Open to All. J. Paris from Edinburgh was the winner by inches from A. Peebles of Edinburgh in a fast race. Third place was taken by James Muir from Leith. Concluding the heats for The Jedforest Handicap Open Flat Race of 120 yards, there was no doubt as to the respective placement during the final. After a good start, in an exciting race at a good pace, J. M. Graham from Hawick carried off the winning prize. Graham was running from 14½ yards. A. Adam of Mid Calder, running off the 16 yards mark was placed second, and third place went to G. Easton, Hawick who was placed at 16½ yards. Henry Miller (M Henry) of Jedburgh, who won his heat from a handicap of 8 yards, was unplaced in the final. From a field of eleven, The Lothian Handicap 800 Yards Flat Race was a well contested race to the close. Walter Hope, Jedburgh, running from scratch, made a tactful and resolute race of it, and was cordially cheered when he landed home with a yard or two to the good. A. Glendinning, Riccarton, followed to take second place from a 15 yards start, and W. Goodfellow, Jedburgh was placed third from a start of 5 yards.

George Hall (H. George) is pictured reaching the tape to take first prize in the 250 yards Handicap Race, donated to the Games by Jedburgh lads who are resident and working in Medicine Hat, Canada  

The final of The Jedburgh Handicap Open Flat Race of 215 yards was won by G. Easton, Hawick from the 21 yard mark. Second place fell to A. R. Scott, Selkirk running off 18 yards. A. Adam from Mid Calder, also off 18 yards, picked up the third prize. Again, Henry Miller of Jedburgh, after winning his heat from 11 yards failed to contend for a prize in the final. Jedburgh's Bob Douglas, in an almost duplicate re-run of last year's Open Wrestling competition final, ousted G. Common of Harbottle to hold on to first prize for the fifth successive year. This year, the Stobs Castle Prize for a Flat Race of 1 Mile, confined to the Border Counties, was replaced by The Calgary Cup, donated by Jethart lads working in Calgary, Canada. The cup was won by A. Skinner of Bonjedward who contested from the 40 yards mark. The scratch man, Walter Hope of Jedburgh, came in to take second place. J. Bell from Ashkirk who was running from 40 yards arrived in third position. This year's One Mile Open Bicycle Handicap was won by T. T. Oliver of Oxnam with a handicap of 30 yards. G. Telfer, Jedburgh who was riding from 50 yards took second place and E. T. Russell, Jedburgh came in third off a staggering 110 yards start. Jedforest Instrumental Band under the direction of Mr. J. Hewie provided musical selections throughout the day, and dancing entertainment was displayed by Mr John Mackintosh's Olympia Troupe of International Dancers and Pipers from Edinburgh.

Townspeople and visitors assembled at six o'clock to witness the ceremonial, invariably observed at the opening of Games day. The weather for the year 1913 was fair, and though the sky was not bright, there was good hope of a favourable day. The morning gathering was divided on this occasion. One portion attended to the firing of the cannon, an important part of the ceremony, which owing to a case of illness in the neighbourhood of Market Place, was performed in the Lothian Park. Four times the cannon was fired to signify that the proclamation was made to all quarters. Promptly at six o'clock, Jedforest Instrumental Band set off on a march through the principal streets of the town. The joybells were rung and flags were run up on the Castle and the tower of the Abbey. These operations were witnessed by the crowd of people who had gathered in Market Place. The opening having thus been performed strictly in accordance with use and wont, the Games were started. Very soon, the company in Lothian Park was largely augmented by the crowd who had gathered at Market Place. The managers, with many preparations to make, had their work well forward, and the Games had a propitious opening. The 100 yards Open Foot Race contested a field of eight, most of them, men of much experience. The first prize went to Henry Miller (M Henry), won by a yard secured in the closing strides. Second and third place were very close, and taken by J. H. McMillan, Hawick and W. R. Knox, Canada, respectively. The final of the Jedforest Handicap Flat Race of 120 yards got off to a fine start, and a finish that brought about a great stir from the spectators. E. Oliver, Selkirk made it home in first place to win the major prize from an 11 yards start, followed very closely by J. Mitchell from Winchburgh who ran from 7½ yards to come in a good second. G. H. Hogarth of Yetholm running from 14 yards managed third place. The pace was maintained at the keenest pitch throughout the race to the last stride at the finishing tape. The Lothian Handicap of 800 yards was fiercly contested this year, with a good field at the start, but all dropped out before the end except the prize winners. J. Curran of Galashiels, who was well to the front throughout, came in to claim first place, followed by Walter Hope of Jedburgh. W. Smith from Walkerburn took third place. All three prize winners started from the scratch mark. The Jedburgh Handicap Flat Race of 215 yards fell to Henry Miller (M Henry) from Jedburgh, who won by half a yard from the 7 yard mark. Second place went to T. Brandon of Edinburgh running off 13 yards, and W. Turner from Castle Douglas who started on 6 yards came in to take third prize. This years programme included the novel competition of a pillow fight which was won by W. Beattie from Otterburn. S. Wallace of Southdean was feathered into second place. The Open Wrestling competition was won by W. Nichol of Knightsl'ge, who met S. Wallace from Roundabouts in the final. Wallace had to settle for second place. Bob Douglas of Jedburgh did not compete this year. The Calgary Cup One Mile Handicap confined to the Border Counties was won by J. Bell, Ashkirk from a start of 45 yards. C. Wilson of Stow took second place from a handicap of 15 yards, and third place went to J. Curran, Galashiels, running from the 10 yard mark. Walter Hope of Jedburgh, the scratch man came in fourth. The final of the One Mile Bicycle Handicap was a forign affair this year, with first prize going to J. Cunningham from New Gilston. Second place went to M. Atkinson of Gurgunnock and James Jackson of Fauldhouse came in to claim the third prize. The McBain Troupe of dancers with a company of seven members, provided performances at intervals throughout the day. A stand on the ground was occupied by the Jedforest Instrumental Band who provided a large programme of musical entertainment.

  Presentation of The Calgary Cup to Walter Hope of Jedburgh in 1914. From the left, Adam 'Yid' Wight (Games committee), Mrs W. Hope (holding the trophy), Walter Hope and son, John 'Jock' Thomson (Games committee) and Sam L. Davidson (Games committee)

At six o'clock precisely on 11th July 1914, the traditional ceremonies for the opening of Jedburgh Border Games were carried out, as they have been done since their inauguration in 1853. In attendance were natives of Jedburgh who reside in other parts of the country, and with whom it is a custom to attend the Games year after year if they can possibly do so. The quoiting, which usually starts immediately after these ceremonies was fixed to begin at eight o'clock this year. The change was made to suit the convenience of a considerable number of competitors who come from places at some distance from Jedburgh. In the meantime, the cricket ball throwing competition was carried on, while members of the committee and their associates were employed in preparing the ring for the main track events of the day. The Foot Race of 100 Yards, Open to All was no less thrilling than in previous years. Seven runners came forward. Henry was closely followed by Biggar and Ramsay all the way, and the finish was stirring. Henry Miller (M Henry) of Jedburgh was the victor over W. Biggar from Addiewell. J. Ramsay of Edinburgh took third place. The final of The Jedforest Handicap Open Flat Race over a distance of 120 yards was decided after twelve heats and four cross ties. George Kennedy of Ancrum was the popular winner who ran from a handicap of 15½ yards. Kennedy secured first place by the slightest degree of advantage over T. Barrie of Edinburgh who was running from 12½ yards. Third place went to J. Mitchell, Winchburgh who started at 6½ yards. A field of ten who started The Lothian Handicap Flat Race of 800 yards, thinned to half a dozen runners before the finish. T. Balfour, Jedburgh, who started at 60 yards, led until the last yard, and had to be content with second place. W. G. Broach of Dumfries managed to edge in front at the final moment to clinch the win after an 18 yards start. Sterrick from Peebles from a 20 yards start succeeded in taking third place from Walter Hope of Jedburgh, who was the back marker off 3 yards. The weather, which had been favourable enough during the morning, was quite bright at two o'clock, when the Games were resumed after an interval of one hour. The final of the Jedburgh Handicap Race of 215 yards was won by J. Mitchell from Winchburgh, running from a mark of 10 yards. Second place went to J.Paris of Edinburgh who was also placed from the 10 yards mark. S. R. Miller of Jedburgh who ran from the 23 yards mark took third place from Henry Miller (M Henry) of Jedburgh, in fourth position, who had a 6 yard handicap. The Pillow Fight prize of ten shillings was won by J. Waugh, and J. Sinton took the second prize of five shillings. In the absence of Bob Douglas of Jedburgh, for the Open Wrestling Championship, the victory this year went to J. Little from Kingwater. Second prize went to R. Routledge of Wyllam. The Calgary Cup, a One Mile Handicap Race, confined to the Border Counties and given by Jethart lads in Canada was won by Walter Hope from Jedburgh, from a handicap of 5 yards. Hope went smartly to the front in the last lap. This move was challenged, but he pluckily held his position, encouraged by his friends in the crowd, and came in a good first. Second place went to J. Bell, Ashkirk, who was handicapped at 15 yards, and Peter Kerr came in to take third place from the 40 yards mark. In the final of the One Mile Bicycle Handicap, J. Cunningham of New Gilston started from scratch and took second position in the second last lap. He then manouvred into the front at the beginning of the last lap to hold the position to the finish. J. Jackson of Fauldhouse finished in second place from a start of 40 yards. W. Atkinson, Gargunnock took third place. Music was discoursed at intervals in the course of the day by Jedforest Instrumental Band. The McBain troupe of pipers and dancers, whose performances last year met with much approval from the spectators, were engaged again this year to present an excellent display of their professional resources and great skill.

Accounts for the last 5 Years (Credit Balance includes Balance carried forward from previous year)

Year 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914
Income £195/6/9d £176/17/5d £178/18/10d £176/14/4d £175/5/0d
Expenditure £183/4/9d £188/1/4d £180/12/3d £197/0/7d £188/13/10d
Credit Balance £100/14/11d £89/11/0d £87/17/7d £67/11/4d £54/2/6d


Top of Page